carnegieXchange: School of Sport

Studying Sport and Exercise Nutrition as an international student

Carlotta Croci-Maspoli is a MSc Sport and Exercise Nutrition student from Switzerland who will soon be graduating. Here, she shares her experience of studying at Leeds Beckett and offers advice to other international students.

Leeds Beckett student Carlotta smiling with mountains behind her

My name is Carlotta, I’m 25 and I come from a sunny village in the South of Switzerland. I speak four languages: Italian, French, German and English. If you’re an international student looking for advice or you’re interested in becoming a sports nutritionist, I’m here to explain why Leeds Beckett is a great option.

Sport has always played a major role in my life. I played volleyball for over 13 years and I was part of the U19 national team. I also enjoy weightlifting, running, hiking, swimming, beach volleyball and snowboarding. I’m fascinated by nutrition and cooking is a big passion of mine.

When I started understanding the power of individualised nutrition to reach a sporting goal, I began looking at master's courses abroad to continue my studies. After many months of research and getting in touch with numerous course leaders, I opted for the MSc Sport and Exercise Nutrition course at Leeds Beckett because of the appealing modules.

The course is well structured to deliver knowledge and skills in a coherent and gradual manner. The lectures are really interesting, which is thanks to the enthusiasm and dedication of the staff. There is also a good mix of theory and practice, so you spend time in both the lecture theatre and the laboratories.

The Carnegie School of Sport building is brand new and has fantastic equipment and rooms. I’ve really appreciated being able to work in a modern space where you feel inspired and motivated.

The staff are very supportive, not only academically but also for overall wellbeing. Everyone is very polite and you’re made to feel welcome every day!

In terms of being an international student, I would give the following advice:

1. Make sure you have all your documents before moving to the UK, especially your VISA.
  2. Take part in events for international students and join a society. This will be a good opportunity to make new friends. 
  3. Jump on a train and go visit some towns near Leeds or even bigger cities such as London. Even better: make friends who have a car and ask them to show you around.
  4. Do not worry if you don’t find your favourite food in supermarkets. For example, I could not find fondue, raclette or my favourite Swiss chocolate, but that’s ok.
  5. Last, but not least: NETWORK. Create a LinkedIn account, speak to lecturers, chat with other students, take part in conferences, be curious, tell your story and your goals. If you are proactive, you will find great opportunities that will help you on completion of your master’s.

I’m so thankful for the opportunities I’ve had at Leeds Beckett to grow and develop as a student. I have recently secured a full-time position as an Applied Sports Nutrition Scientist for OYM AG, a company which supports Swiss elite athletes. This has not come without hard work and dedication. The master’s course is intense and there is a lot of work to do, but it’s given me valuable skills for the future.

I hope that my experience will help other students find their way! I’d like to thank all of the staff and students from the MSc Sport and Exercise Nutrition course for an amazing year.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself!