LBU Together

Isolated before Isolation

BA (Hons) Media Communication and Culture student, Julie Chalupova shares with us her opinions on isolation and discusses the Beckett Talks Experts in Isolation podcast.

headphones

Are you tired of being stuck in these strange times in our houses and not being able to do what you want? I am. For a person like me who loves new adventures and experiences, this situation is becoming more and more challenging. Of course, some people may enjoy performing social distancing rather than social interacting, but still… I can assure you, even though our situation is not ideal, there are people on this planet who found themselves isolated and in a greater danger even before our worldwide isolation.

Judging by the podcast title – Experts in Isolation – would you expect some scientists talking about how our brains and bodies are influenced by this lockdown isolation? Yes, me too. That’s why I was genuinely happy when I have discovered that we will hear from people who have experienced different types of isolation through extreme sports or risky jobs. So, if you want to learn something about how to cope with lockdown from a specialised doctor you may need to look elsewhere. But, if you want to hear incredible stories from courageous people - this is the right podcast for you.

A marine biologist on a boat with fishermen in Alaska talks about the feeling of isolation that you can have even if you are in a group of people. I guess that we all can relate to this. If we remember the good old days when we were allowed to go to the pub and then being the one in the group who does not know anybody else – that might be a suitable parable for Alaska. Wow, it’s been so long. Furthermore, I really liked the metaphor by Josh, who was stuck in a flooded cave for 27 hours. Incredible. If I were him, I am not really sure if I would have been that calm. He talks about a dive line that he lost and how it could be compared to the loss of social contact and hobbies.

On the other hand, it’s not only about the number of people, it also depends on the personalities that you are isolated with. No matter how much you like your partner, being together 24/7 is not healthy. Even your dog can get very confused when you are not going to work every day as you used to. That’s why these people advise to set ground rules.

It is also advised to establish routines (I am trying but my sleep is stronger) for your day but also for your eating pattern to bring some sense of control. Marine fishermen talks about the importance of having breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same time – also not my skill.

As you may have noticed, many new trends became very popular during lockdown. And me personally, I was definitely one of those people who tried some of them. Luckily, I’ve avoided dancing on TikTok but I’ve baked some bread and tried to do yoga almost every day. Isolation brings opportunities to learn new things and to do what you normally wouldn’t have time for. It’s a great way to “stay sane”.

All in all, we all need to cope with this new normal and try to do as many enjoyable activities as we can. Bake bread, go for a run or just eat your lunch at noon (and give your dog a break) - just start with the small things.

You can listen to the Experts in Isolation podcast below.

By Christopher McLay
03 May 2021
By Shirleecia Ward + 4 more
19 Apr 2021