#gew2019 – Opportunities for students at Leeds Beckett
10 million people in more than 170 countries have participated in entrepreneurship-related events, activities and competitions during Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW).
It provides an opportunity to inspire people everywhere through activities designed to help them explore their potential as start-ups and innovators. It is a good time to highlight the wonderful opportunities to develop entrepreneurial knowledge and skills available throughout the year to Leeds Beckett students.
- The Princes Trust Explore Enterprise Programme – a series of workshops for those thinking about starting a business. Providing a comprehensive introduction to marketing, business planning and finance, the programme is designed to help students to refine their business idea. Evening and daytime programmes are available on campus, with further support available from an experienced mentor upon completion. The programme runs four times each year and is next available in January 2020 – students should sign up now to secure their place. Find more information about the programme by contacting email@example.com.
- Leeds Business School Sustainable Start-up Award 2020– is an annual competition run in the second semester open to students across the university. The award provides an opportunity for students to turn an idea into a business proposition using a Business Model Canvas. Academics and entrepreneurs provide briefings and mentoring support throughout a six-week development period with the winner judged by a panel of academics receiving a Dean’s Award (£500). For further information contact LBSEnterprise@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.
- The Retail Institute’s Product Innovation Award provides an opportunity for students to pitch a new product idea and obtain live feedback on the product concept from a panel of academic and industry experts from global businesses. For selected candidates, there is an introduction to potential business partners or prospective clients. The next award will be available in April 2020. For further information contact RetailInstitute@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.
- The Business Advantage Award – is an annual competition delivered in partnership with Leeds law firm Lupton Fawcett and accountancy firm Murray Harcourt. The award provides advice and support to early stage businesses looking to grow. Five awards are presented with one reserved for a student of Leeds Beckett University/Wakefield College. Legal support and mentoring, valued at over £5000 is available from a solicitor and an accountant Find more about the award by contacting our University Business Centre at UBCLeeds@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.
- Online support - Through Careers on MyHub short courses a variety of e-learning tools are available to explore whether self-employment is the right career option for you. This free online support is available via the following link: http://bit.ly/2XdiYGC.
Check out Jenny's story, from Student to Street Food Trader here
If you are a Leeds Beckett student with an idea that could prove to be a success, a business plan in development or you want to develop the creative, strategic thinking and business skills that employers are looking for #gew2019 presents an opportunity to find out more about these fantastic opportunities.