Leeds Business School

Building strategy, vision and innovation with Help to Grow

Paul Kenny, Sales Director at Aquatrust Water and Ventilation Ltd, joined the 12-week Help to Grow: Management programme at Leeds Beckett in September 2022 to build on his ambitions to implement new innovations and improvements in the business. In this blog post, he shares the impact the course has had on Aquatrust so far and his plans for the future.

Paul Kenny, Sales Director at Aquatrust

How did you find out about the Help to Grow: Management programme?

Someone in an existing peer-to-peer group that I attend recommended the course after an application I’d made to get on the Goldman Sachs programme was unsuccessful. I looked this up on the website, made an enquiry and was put in touch with a contact at Leeds Beckett.

Was this your first encounter with Leeds Beckett University?

Yes, it was, although I’d previously been introduced to the University’s Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) via a friend that worked there and was already interested in potentially exploring this avenue.

What attracted you to joining the course?

I’ve been enthusiastic about introducing new innovations and improvements within the business for some time – for example, I’ve been introducing Internet of Things remote solutions for our compliance checks on water systems, and have been setting up a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to help support our sales team to be more dynamic. I was looking for a management course to support me in the ideas and know-how to improve the business further and develop my skills as a director.

The structure and the government subsidy towards the cost of the course attracted me to Help to Grow initially. Also, my role in sales is something that requires me to connect with people and I saw this as an opportunity to create a new network!

I started in September 2022 which was perfect timing – I had just returned from my summer holidays and it felt like just what I needed to get out the rut of working from my desk and to start something new.

Aquatrust's reception area: including an iPad for signing in, a TV screen and sofa

What are some of the first changes you have made as a result of the course?

The first two modules were around Strategy and Innovation and Digital Adoption and I was hooked! I’m particularly interested in digital adoption and one of the first things I did was look at our reception area. It was quite old-fashioned, with a paper book to sign in. We’ve replaced this with an iPad, and added a TV screen displaying promotional videos.

In the Strategy and Innovation module, we were recommended a book called Business Model Canvassing which I bought and was very enthusiastic about the ideas. I immediately started working on what our current business model looks like and what our new one would look like. I asked our sales and management teams for their ideas, drew this up and have it framed on my wall. Now every day I look at it and it helps me to think in a more strategic fashion rather than being too focused on the day-to-day operations.

I also loved the “in person” modules at the Rose Bowl. What a beautiful building!

A meeting room with a tv screen on the wall and a written list of Aquatrust's brand values: Professionalism, Respect, Honesty, Efficiency, Integrity, Patience.

How did the one-on-one mentoring offered on the course benefit you?

My mentor, Sean Masters, helped me describe a new Vision for Aquatrust and helped with the Mission Statement also. This all fell into place with the new business model I’d been working on. He helped with my approach to the management team and built a plan on how I might roll out my Vision to staff and customers alike. I was very enthused about working on our branding and this really geared me up to want to become a greener company and to be known for this. Small things such as recommending the app to replace our sign-in book were ideas Sean helped with.

What has been the highlight of the course for you?

I think the course gave me confidence to pursue the Vision I had for Aquatrust and to make those things a reality. I’d also say the people that I’ve met through the course have been wonderful! Not only my cohort group but the tutors, mentor, the people at the Retail Institute and Knowledge Exchange team have all helped so much in moving Aquatrust forward, promoting the business and introducing us to key people.

Our group has carried on our peer-to-peer meetings once a quarter to discuss our plans and any problems we may be having that we can help each other with. We are meeting in the Knowledge Exchange in the Rose Bowl at Leeds Beckett which is a great space to be able to meet and work.

Another surprising highlight was, in one session, our tutor mentioned the idea of making the toilet area of your business more attractive for staff and customers. Everyone began talking about it and I liked the idea. I gave a budget to our office team and they couldn’t wait to get a new toilet seat! We also invested in new accessories to make it a nicer space. We learnt that little things like this can make a big difference and the course really enthused me to make positive changes.

The updated bathroom at Aquatrust

What would you say to someone thinking of signing up for Help to Grow: Management?

I’d say anybody looking to really take their business forward should not delay and sign up today! What have you got to lose? The financial outlay is so minimal and the positive effect this will have on your business is immeasurable. Go for it!

A word cloud of key terms used in the Aquatrust business, on the office wall

What plans have you put into place as a result of the programme?

I came up with a plan as a result of the course which mainly involves some digital adoption that can change our business model. I’ve sourced and trialled an off-the-shelf product which I’m now about to roll out on a larger scale in May that will benefit the business massively. I’ve also been working with the University and we have submitted an application for a government-funded Knowledge Transfer Partnership that will allow us to future-proof the business moving forward.

A remote sensor monitor used by Aquatrust

What’s next for Aquatrust?

We are awaiting the outcome of the KTP application and also there are some other things in the pipeline which I can’t go too much into detail about at present, however watch this space in the coming months!

In July 2023, Aquatrust and Leeds Beckett University were successfully awarded funding from Innovate UK for the Knowledge Transfer Partnership. This innovative new project will create a bespoke remote system to monitor water for Legionella bacteria. Read more on the Leeds Beckett news website.