My experience in San Diego

Flight hopping all the way to San Diego.

I didn’t know what to expect walking to Headingly campus at five in the morning; it was a big job and I felt nervous with having the responsibility of being executive producer.

The LBU Rugby team training on the beach

I’m used to the comforts of rainy England, Leeds Beckett PCs and only having myself to rely on; so walking into 12 days with a media team, five cameras and laptops I was bound to be a bit apprehensive, but the trip worked out the way I would’ve hoped.

The first shoot was a breeze, 27 degree heat on a beach couldn’t have gone better. Everyone was happy, why wouldn’t we be with how good the weather was. The shots came out good and we started building up a relationship with the players and we had the interviews rolling in.

Once the second shoot came along in I felt more confident, seeing San Diego State University alongside this was amazing too. I couldn’t believe how big it was, it almost felt never ending. We got the interviews rolling and my role was becoming easier to fulfill. I dusted off a few more jobs for the day before heading to the first training session at the university. Adjusting to using manual was a quite difficult, but the shots came out amazing. It made editing easier the next day.

The rest of the week went well, a few minor hiccups but we worked through them, the footage came out well and editing went smoothly on my part. This was all leading to the big game where Leeds Beckett’s rugby team played San Diego Legions Academy. I don’t normally shoot sport, but other than being a bit cold due to the weather taking a turn, it was good to get stuck in on the pitch knowing we’d worked hard to get to this moment.

I think showing off our universities rugby team helped, feeling pride for them made the whole experience even more enjoyable but it also made us believe in ourselves too. Knowing we can not only film to a good standard but can edit well too, especially with such tight turn arounds. The experience made me feel proud of not only myself but my team. Alongside this I also photographed parts of the trip too, building up on what I’ve learnt across my time at Leeds Beckett.

There are things I would do differently if I were to do this trip a second time round, but that’s down to being a perfectionist. I’m about to board a flight feeling happy with the outcome of this trip; having built-up my experience working in a professional setting.

Leeds Now

The original version of this article was published on the leedsnow.co.uk website.

Read the article
BA (Hons)

Journalism

Marketing, PR and Journalism
Attendance
  • Full-Time
Durations
  • 3 Years
  • Full-Time
  • 3 Years
Woman looking through camera in media facility
BA (Hons)

Sports Journalism

Marketing, PR and Journalism
Attendance
  • Full-Time
Durations
  • 3 Years
  • Full-Time
  • 3 Years
Students filming Leeds Rhinos Women in classroom setting