I've had so much support and creative freedom to express myself

Student spotlight | Leanne Clarke

yellow dot on white background
Leanne came to Leeds Beckett as a mature student to study fashion. Inspired by the queens of hip hop in the 90’s, Leanne has ambitions to start her own fashion brand. She successfully completed an undergrad degree and has stayed on at Leeds Beckett to study a Masters.
Course: BA (Hons) Fashion

What made you decide to study BA (Hons) Fashion?

Ever since I was 15 years old, I’ve wanted to build my own fashion brand. I applied to university to study fashion so I could build the skills and confidence I needed to do this. I’m not going to lie, being 40 I was worried about going to university at my age. I thought I’d be too old, but I took a leap of faith and applied.

Why did you choose to study at Leeds Beckett University?

The facilities at Leeds Beckett are amazing, and the overall student experience here is great. The location also suits me. My course is taught in the city centre and surrounding areas are in walking distance.

They’ve given me so much support and creative freedom to express myself. I didn’t need to think twice when considering my place of study.

As a mature student, how do you balance study with home life with work and other commitments?

Time-management is key to balance home-life, work and study. I tend to study when my children are at school and when they go to bed. It can be quite stressful, but I have great family support and I’ve developed excellent multi-tasking skills. 

Your work focuses on black history, mainly the origin of hip hop. Can you tell us a bit more about the background to your work, and what motivates you to focus on these areas?

My work mainly focuses on the queens of hip hop and how they have influenced culture, fashion, and beauty over the past 30 years. It focuses on the strength and agility they have had to have in a male dominated industry, and how this has influenced the way they dressed. 

I remember back in the 90’s, when the best hip hop was only shown at midnight on Yo MTV Rap, and I never really saw any black or brown models on TV or fashion runaways, and even when they did, they would hide their afro hair. Streetwear also wasn’t seen as high-end. Seeing how these things are changing for the better motivates me in my work.

Where do you find inspiration for your work?

Inspiration for my work is found everywhere! I never stop taking things in, people watching, travel, music, film and day to day life. I also really admire designer Dapper Dan and the life he has lived I’m constantly inspired by him as a creative.

You’re about to start an MA in Fashion at Leeds Beckett, what were the main drivers in deciding to stay on and do a postgraduate degree?

I want to develop my research to build a stronger foundation to launch my brand after graduation. I’ll be using all the skills and knowledge I’ve gained in my undergrad degree to successfully achieve my masters. 

Having already studied at Leeds Beckett for my BA, I was familiar with the fashion teaching team, and they are top class. They’ve given me so much support and creative freedom to express myself. I didn’t need to think twice when considering my place of study.

Leeds is a multi-cultural vibrant city with a friendly welcoming student vibe. There is something for everyone.

Why do you think Leeds is a good city in which to study Fashion? 

Leeds is a multi-cultural vibrant city with a friendly welcoming student vibe. There is something for everyone and fashion students will never run out of place to collect research and ideas.

What advice would you give to other students thinking of studying a fashion degree? 

Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! Take a leap of faith, believe in yourself and find your creative voice. This usually leads to the best outcomes.