The opportunity to experience a role-emerging placement ads another level to the placement experience

Student spotlight | Emily Watkins, MSc Occupational Therapy (Pre-Reg)

Emily Watkins

Hi, I’m Emily, I’m currently studying for a Masters in Occupational Therapy. Outside of my studies I am a Scout and Beaver leader with my local Scout group. I love spending time outside with the young people, helping them to experience new adventures that support their health and wellbeing. I am also an avid crafter; you will regularly find me making something whenever I have a spare moment. 

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Mental Health Nursing

Growing up I always had a love for the human body, the way it works and what happens when things go wrong. This led me to do my undergraduate degree in human physiology in Leeds. I spent three years learning about the intricate workings of the human body. I found myself questioning how changes to someone’s physiology impacted on their ability to engage in life. I also spent time working in a special school, observing how young people with additional needs are supported to access education. All these experiences led me to wanting a career that was about helping people do the activities they love every day. That is exactly what occupational therapy is all about. Helping and supporting people to find ways to live a meaningful life, doing the activities they want and need to do every day.

Why did you choose Leeds Beckett?

I really wanted a practical-based course and at Leeds Beckett we have access to the clinical suite. In the simulation flat we get to practise the skills we learn in lectures on each other. Practical, people skills are so important as an occupational therapist so having the Clinical Suite to practise in a safe environment has been brilliant.

I also really liked the idea of working in a group every week. Working and collaborating with others is such an important part of an occupational therapist’s role, so being able to practise that every week has been invaluable. Another great thing about the group work is it is always based around real-life scenarios which really helps with translating theory into practice. Getting to learn from eight other people each week has massively expanded my knowledge base and provided so many more learning opportunities than if I was working on my own.

One of the other big draws for me was getting the opportunity to experience a role-emerging placement. I think they add another level to your placement experiences, providing different challenges and opportunities, that ultimately make you a more rounded clinician.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

The best part of my course at Leeds Beckett is getting to go out on placement, and importantly feeling like I have been taught everything I need to succeed whilst I’m there.

Going on placement lets me put everything I have learnt into practice and see the difference it makes to the patients I support. Being trusted to lead on a patient’s care, making decisions based on clinical reasoning and advocating for them to other members of their healthcare team is the best feeling!

My favourite thing about studying at Leeds Beckett is how supportive everyone is, both fellow students and our lecturers. Whenever I have needed help with something, both academic-related and personal circumstances, my lecturers have been brilliant, making sure I am okay and supporting me. My course mates have also been really supportive, we all encourage each other to be successful. I have loved being one of my year’s course representatives, it has been an amazing opportunity to learn how to advocate for my fellow students, a skill that will be important once I am working.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

I think the most important thing to consider is if you have the desire and passion to want to help others. To be open and willing to listen to someone’s life experiences and validate them. To help people who are not able to advocate for themselves. All the practical skills can be learnt, but the innate desire to help should be the driver. Don’t worry about having loads of experience before you start. You are provided with so many opportunities to build the skills you need both through placement and the practical session at university. You also don’t need a science undergraduate degree, there are several people in my cohort who have art and humanities degrees. They are all going to make brilliant occupational therapists and they have taught me so much as well – everyone has something to bring to the table.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!

Emily Watkins