School of Health

British Science Week - how connections benefit our students

The connection between LBU and local hospitals has given multiple Biomedical Science students the opportunity to conduct a one-year placement in the NHS.

Here we hear from one of our students about their experience of enrolling on a placement year.

Biomedical Labs

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting to do a placement during this degree. I was expecting to get it over and done with and get straight into the NHS. As was everyone on the course. The concept of placement felt like a ‘waste’ of a year; in that ‘wasted’ year, I could have gone on to work and started my career or I could have gone on a year break all around the world visiting new places making new ‘connections’.

To understand how the placement was you have to understand what a placement is; ‘Give learners the opportunity to apply the theory and skills they gained while studying in a professional workplace’ -  this is what I got from the internet. It does sum-up the concept of a placement, but what is a placement in Biomedical Sciences?

I’ll give you a little insight; I was the first year to have the option of a placement period. Most of the year didn’t want to do it especially me and my mates. I remember telling my brother about the option of a placement year, his reaction was unexpected. The advice given that day, in the gym, will stick with me throughout my life.

He said: “Take every opportunity they give or else you will regret it.”

The next morning albeit two months after the closing date of the applications I asked the GREAT Alex Liversidge if there were any places available and to my amazement she squeezed me in. To be continued.

Placement student LBU and LTHT

Dr Rochelle Hockney

Senior Lecturer / School Of Health

Dr Rochelle Hockney is a Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Science. Her research investigates the role of infection and inflammation in reproductive health, pregnancy and fertility, plus the impact of contraceptive options of reproductive tract cancer and female health.