It was my first time attending, sadly in my final year of study and had no idea what to expect. I wasn’t planning on going until one of my tutors in the English department all but begged for me to go and bring a big group of friends as it would be a great time. I hadn’t realised tutors were invited too. This is the key fundamental difference to going out for dinner then drinks with friends, tutors from across all the cultural subjects were in attendance.

Food at the ball

I arrived with a few of my close course friends and were greeted with the red carpet treatment and glass of bubbly as we waltzed into the ballroom. Before eating there was time for some chat with friends and gushing over how wonderful everybody looked out of their normal university attire. Sequins and bow ties in full swing for students and tutors! This was a great opportunity to get to know my tutors even better but also tutors on the other courses in the department- good unofficial networking. After eating it was time for dancing, a highlight of my evening was forcing the Dean of the department back on the dancefloor as he tried to get a swift exit. We all danced for hours to 2019’s top 40 but also 1980’s top 40 too until we were all but kicked out.

Students at the ball

Go, eat, drink and be merry on the dancefloor with your tutors and friends, it’s a fantastic opportunity to unwind.

Leeds Beckett Sign