There were a few questions I kept asking myself before uni: “Will I be alone throughout my uni life?”, “How will I meet new people?”, “I don’t know where to meet friends, what should I do?” It’s totally normal to have these thoughts when stepping out of your comfort zone, especially before going to uni. I hope my blog can tell you a bit more about my journey and how I’ve coped with it.

My experience at LBU

I joined the university in 2020, in the middle of the pandemic. To be honest, I was quite worried about where to meet friends and course mates as there were a lot of restrictions back then. Making friends was difficult with lockdown. However, where there’s a will, there’s a way! Someone from my course kindly created a group on social media, which allowed students studying the same course to get in touch with one another prior starting uni. Although it was such an unusual way to meet friends, it gave me more reassurance that I was not alone! 

Throughout the year when my course was held virtually, we helped each other out by using instant messaging groups and held online group meetings, where we could talk about uni work or life in general. As an international student, I had lots of questions about living in the UK and Leeds. My course mates were very friendly and passionate. They introduced me to different wonderful places to visit in the UK, such as the Lake District (which is a very beautiful national park in the north of England), Harewood House and Kirkstall Abbey.

Female student standing on top of a cliff

Here is a photo of me when I hiked in the Lake District!

I’ve also made some friends who are also from Hong Kong. We’d met once in Hong Kong before arriving in Leeds. As international students, there are many processes to go through before travelling to the UK such as visa applications and accommodation. I was glad that I was able to share some of my concerns and could discuss this journey with them. It was also good to make some connections before starting my course and arriving the UK. I am thankful for their presence, and that they can provide me emotional support, especially during lockdown and being in a foreign country.

Three female students sitting around a table

Friends from Hong Kong. Three of us study MSc Dietetics here at LBU and we LOVE food!

International student community

I am a global ambassador at LBU alongside my studies, and I support the Global Village with various events where you can meet and socialise with new people, for example: Speed Friending, Global Village Café and Global Village Saturdays. In addition to that, I’ve met fellow global ambassadors when we’ve worked together at virtual events and talked about our life in Leeds and some struggles we have encountered during our time here as international students. We understood each other and we shared our experiences, culture, and traditional food so we could get to know each other a bit better. I am so thankful that the Global Village has provided different opportunities for me to meet new people and without them, I don’t think that I would have such an amazing uni life!

Top tip on making friends in uni

Don’t be afraid to try new things! Try to attend social events that you like, join the Global Village and be open minded to new experiences! It may be quite daunting at first when immersing yourself in a totally new environment, but trust me, once you step out of your comfort zone, you’ll enjoy it (and never regret it).

Natalie C

Hello, my name is Natalie and I am currently studying MSc Dietetics at Leeds Beckett University. I am an international student from Hong Kong. During my free time, I love to go to the gym, do pilates and listen to music. I also love travelling and exploring nice restaurants in the city. I'm passionate about spreading the importance of balanced diet and health so everyone can live best with their life!