Leeds is home to some amazing eateries. In fact, the variety of places to eat and the bustling nightlife are a few of the things that made me interested in studying at Leeds Beckett in the first place. With Yorkshire Day fast approaching, I thought what better way to celebrate than indulging in a yummy Sunday Roast? So here are my favourite places that I urge you to visit…

Crowd of Favours

Crowd of Favours is a lovely, laid-back restaurant with a pub-feel. You can find them on Harper Street near Kirkgate Market, serving a classic Sunday Roast for £14. The roasts here are so tasty, with a choice of beef, chicken, wellington, or butternut squash as the main element. Then lots of red cabbage, greens, roast veg, roast potatoes and of course Yorkshire puddings with gravy! If top class roasts weren’t enough, they also have an excellent range of soft and alcoholic drinks, including a wide range of craft beers on tap. Every Sunday from 7.30pm ‘Crowd’ hosts a fun pub quiz, making this a great venue for a chilled night out with your housemates. Last time we joined in we surprisingly placed third place... not bad, after eating our fill for the two hours prior! This is always a fab night out, filled with hours of laughs!

Meat is Dead

Meat is Dead stands as one of my favourite vegan restaurants in Leeds, as they serve a fantastic traditional-styled roast, along with bottomless gravy. It’s amazing! Located just opposite Burley Green, their claim to fame is that they’re one of the first completely plant-based eateries in the city. They’re passionate about fostering a welcoming environment for everyone, regardless of dietary preference. So, whether you’re a vegan, veggie, or a massive carnivore, you’ll love this place. It’s worth a visit solely for their delicious ‘junk-free’ £12.50 Sunday Special. I can’t help but recommend the rest of the menu too, they have something delicious for everyone.

The Adelphi

The Adelphi is based in a building with real character and is branded as the ‘local Leeds pub’. It’s ideal for a laid-back drinking and dining experience. The roast menu offers a standout £15.50 21 day-aged sirloin, which is a must-try. The pub is located just over the river from the city centre and is home to the new Home Nations craft beer range. The cocktail menu is also worth a look, especially their signature Blackberry & Rosemary Gimlet.

Whitelock’s Ale House

Having opened in 1715, Whitelock’s is Leeds’ oldest public house. Which means it has all the charm you could ever want in a pub. Located down a narrow alley in the centre of Briggate, visiting here almost feels like you’re stepping back in time. It serves as a great location to get a fab £14 roastie. Come here for a mouth-watering meal and enjoy the history steeped in the eighteenth century walls.

The Brunswick

The Brunswick is a cosy pub set out over three levels, with a well-stocked bar on the ground floor. They have a huge range of bottled beers, cask and keg lines. They also offer an impressive cocktail list, and, very excitingly, all roasts come with a mini Bloody Mary! This wasn’t something I’d experienced before but is a fab idea and definitely the perfect pairing. The roasts here range from £13 to £17, pretty reasonable if you ask me - especially considering the Bloody Mary comes at no extra cost. As this venue is favoured by many Leeds locals it can get busy. So, I recommend you pre order your food to get ahead of the masses – this is a popular choice, for good reason!

Pieminister

OK, so you want the Sunday Lunch vibe, but not necessarily the classic roastie? Pieminister is the place for you. Trust me. This is always a go-to for students like me, especially with the discounts they run. On the standard menu, a pie and two sides will set you back £11.50. So, all in all a very filling meal out without breaking the bank. Don’t keep this to a Sunday visit only. Being on the edge of Call Lane, surrounded by clubs and bars, this diner may just be the perfect - albeit slightly unconventional - place to start your night out.

As you can see, there is a huge variety of eateries worth visiting in Leeds for your next Sunday roast. All within walking distance of the city centre and all suitable for your student budget. I hope after reading my shortlist you find the perfect place for your next meal out.

Ellie

Hi, I'm Ellie and I'm a first year Dietetics student and blogger from Dorset. Contrary to popular belief, my life doesn't revolve around salads! I enjoy baking, photography, pottery and I am particularly interested in all things sustainable.