I have always been a shy person and it’s affected me most when I’m in a new environment. So, starting university and moving to Leeds was very daunting for me. As an international student my anxiety was increased as not only was I moving to a new city, but I was also moving to a new country.

Prepare yourself in advance

My first piece of advice is to try to prepare for new situations by researching what welcome events the university is holding before you arrive. Before I arrived in Leeds, I did various research into the university and Leeds as a city. Through doing this I learnt about all the exciting things the Global Village Team were organising, such as monthly Speed Friending events. Global Village is a mix of students and staff who support international students like me. The team regularly holds lots of online and in person events that help people settle into life in Leeds and make new friends. Their monthly Speed Friending events are held on Zoom, so if you feel more comfortable trying an online event first then you may enjoy taking part. There is also an in person Speed Friending event for both international and UK students happening in the Portland Building on 23 September 2022.

By planning in advance like I did, you can find lots of activities, events and societies you may be interested in getting involved with. Whether you’re an international or UK student, there’s lots of welcome and induction events taking place for everyone to get involved in. From tours of Leeds, to cooking classes and trips to places like York and Kirkstall Abbey. For me, being aware of the welcome activities gave me time to prepare so I had a few social events already in the calendar by the time I actually arrived.

Gently push yourself out of your comfort zone

If I’m being honest, there were times when I could have easily stayed in my comfort zone and read a book in my room instead of joining one of the social events. However, I knew if I stayed at home, I would miss out on the opportunities that were available. Having already made a note of all the events I was interested in I knew there were plenty of inclusive activities and socials that would be welcoming to a shy student like me. Joining an event like the Global Village Café is certainly not what my first instinct would tell me to do. However, by slowly pushing myself out of my comfort zone I was able to meet new people in person. I know stepping out of your comfort zone is not easy, but if you don’t gently push yourself then you will never know how far you can go. This doesn’t necessarily mean going to a big event or attending every single one. I put myself forward for a selection of smaller events and step by step this has had a positive impact for me.

Organise events with your housemates

Your housemates/flatmates are going to be like your family for a year. Doing things together like cooking meals is a great way to get to know them and break the ice. When I was in my first year, I was very shy and felt uneasy speaking to my housemates. However, one of my housemates invited me to a house meal that they’d organised. We all cooked a famous dish from our home country and shared it with each other. I cooked sweet and sour chicken, while my housemates cooked pad Thai, curry, and dumplings. We enjoyed the food together and chatted for the whole night. The meal certainly helped us to break the ice as we got to know each other more by talking about our cultures, hobbies and courses. It was a really enjoyable evening!

Remember, there’s nothing wrong with being shy

Some shy people starting university may think they need to change themselves, but there is nothing wrong with being shy.

As an introvert I have learnt to embrace who I am, and I've found lots of people just like me.

If you push your boundaries a little and get involved in the welcome activities, you will be likely to meet other people who share the same interests as you, just like I have. Getting involved and meeting like-minded people can help you settle into your new life and give you a sense of belonging. It has certainly helped me achieve this.

I try to never let my shyness limit what I do. I know the courage it takes to get involved with things outside of your comfort zone. For example, once I stepped out of my comfort zone and took part in cooking with my housemates, I was able to feel more relaxed. This really helped me to settle into life at Leeds Beckett and have fun. As nervous as you may be, there’s lots of people in the same boat and lots of fun things to do.

Natalie C

Hello, my name is Natalie and I am currently studying MSc Dietetics at Leeds Beckett University. I am an international student from Hong Kong. During my free time, I love to go to the gym, do pilates and listen to music. I also love travelling and exploring nice restaurants in the city. I'm passionate about spreading the importance of balanced diet and health so everyone can live best with their life!