Before applying to Beckett through Clearing I had unsuccessfully applied to study Biomedical Sciences at other universities. However, I was determined to go to university and get a degree, so I decided to apply through Clearing. My friend who lives in Leeds suggested Leeds Beckett because they thought my qualifications matched the university’s entry requirements and I would enjoy living here. After viewing the course modules online, and checking my UCAS Tariff points, I decided to contact Leeds Beckett. As I was very interested in applying through Clearing, but first I had some questions. 

CONTACTING THE UNIVERSITY

The first thing I did when deciding if I wanted to apply to Leeds Beckett through Clearing was visit the university website. Here, I found lots of information about Clearing, including all the courses available and the phone number for the Clearing hotline which I wrote down.

I then took a look at the BA (Hons) Biomedical Sciences course page which gave me helpful information about the entry requirements, modules and lab facilities.

As I liked the look of the course, I called the Clearing hotline to ask some questions. One thing I wanted to check was whether the Biomedical Sciences course was definitely accredited by the Institute for Biomedical Science (IBMS). As having this accreditation means that when I graduate I can become registered as a Biomedical Scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Which is important because it is a legal requirement for anyone using the title 'biomedical scientist' in the UK to be registered with the HCPC.

The friendly person I spoke to confirmed the course has accreditation from the IBMS and also explained the different course pathways. Including the option of a placement on the NHS Scientist Training Programme. A few minutes after the phone call, I received an email from the course director, who provided further confirmation and explanation of the course's accreditation. Calling the helpline and having contact with the course director made me feel confident about studying at Leeds Beckett. 

After speaking to the university, I added Leeds Beckett as a Clearing choice in UCAS Hub and filled in the course details I’d been given. After this I provided Beckett with documents like my qualification certificates and after a few days they formally confirmed my place to study Biomedical Sciences. I was so happy!

POSITIVE EXPERIENCE

Accepting a place in Clearing is a big decision but thanks to the university’s help I felt certain I was making the best choice for me. The whole Clearing process was straightforward and everyone I spoke to at the university helped answer my questions. 

If you haven’t secured a place at a university, I would highly recommend applying to a course at Leeds Beckett through Clearing. You may have concerns about whether people will know you applied through Clearing, but once your course has begun, there will be no distinction between students or way that anyone will know, unless you tell them!

Overall, my Clearing experience was very positive. If you meet the entry requirements and are passionate about your course like me then I think Leeds Beckett is a great option to consider.

CONTACTING DISABILITY ADVICE

If you are a student with a health condition like me, after applying through Clearing you will need to contact the university’s Disability Advice team. You may find it helpful to take a look at Leeds Beckett’s Disability Advice website in advance. So you know how to contact and inform them of your disability or condition once you’ve accepted your Clearing place. You can also get together any documents you may need in advance to make you more organised and reduce any stress.

Overall, I found the university’s Disability Advice supportive and I heard back quickly after contacting them by email. They booked me in for an assessment to discuss the help I might need at university, giving me the option of an online or face-to-face assessment. They then advised me to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance from Student Finance and helped me with my application.

They also emailed my course tutors about my health condition, assigned me a Disability Advisor, and told me about all the support available at Leeds Beckett. One thing I found reassuring was how students like me can access the Disability Resource Area in the library. A room which provides a silent study space for students registered with Disability Advice.

Knowing about all the support available at Beckett made me feel confident I was making the right decision in studying here.

TOP CLEARING TIP

If you’re applying through Clearing my top tip would be to spend some time considering your options, doing your research, and making the most of the relationships and resources you have at your disposal because they will be very helpful during the Clearing process.

Experiencing a mix of emotions during this fast-paced application process can feel intense but whatever you’re feeling is understandable. Remember, there’s lots of people you can talk to at Beckett who are here to help support and listen to you. Good Luck!

Are you thinking about applying through Clearing?

Our friendly Clearing team are ready and waiting to help you.

FIND OUT ABOUT CLEARING