When you’re trying to choose which universities you want to apply for there are so many things to think about. I spent a lot of time scrolling through universities on UCAS and looking at different university websites, trying to find the right place for me. However, in the end it was attending an Open Day at Leeds Beckett which helped me see that this is where I wanted to study. As I was able to explore the two campuses, attend a subject talk, view the course facilities, chat with current students, and meet the academic staff who teach Music Technology. All of which showed me how well equipped the university is and how exciting it is to be a Leeds Beckett student.

In addition to attending an Open Day as a prospective student, I have also attended many other Open Days as a Student Ambassador, leading campus tours, providing support in halls of residence, and answering questions. I’ve seen first-hand how beneficial Open Days are, and in this blog I’ve listed my top five reasons for attending one.

1) They give you the opportunity to explore the city and the campus

Open Days are an excellent way to explore the university, see the campus facilities and get a feel of the overall campus environment and atmosphere. At a Leeds Beckett Open Day, you can take a guided campus tour that lasts up to 45 minutes. As a Student Ambassador, I’ve led multiple tours of our City Campus, showing students around the library, the Student’s Union, and various other corners of campus. I’ve seen how prospective students have left these campus tours confident about whether this is the right university for them, having been able to gain a better understanding of what campus life is like. Plus, because all tours are led by Student Ambassadors like me, you can ask us all the questions you have about student and university life. From where to grab a coffee in between lectures to the best student hangout spots (I love the pool tables in the SU), we have lots of amazing insights to share. 

Of course, you won’t be spending all of your time as a student on campus – you’ll also be immersed in the vibrant city that is Leeds. When I came to Leeds Beckett for an Open Day, I made sure I looked around the city so I could see what it was like. It was interesting to see the variety of bustling shops, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. One of the things that stood out to me was The Corn Exchange, a quirky Victorian building filled with independent shops. Here I discovered a great vinyl record shop, which, as a music lover, was a very exciting discovery. You can explore the city on your own or join a city tour led by a Student Ambassador who can point out the places us students love best, like Headrow House. By exploring the city I was able to see how nice Leeds is which was very helpful when it came to deciding where to apply. 

Leeds Corn Exchange

The Corn Exchange has a wide range of independent shops, selling everything from posters to plants.

2) You can tour your course facilities

The reason everyone applies to university is because they want to study for a degree. When I first visited Leeds Beckett on an Open Day, I was a prospective Music Technology student, and when it came to me deciding where I wanted to apply to study, being able to have a look around the course facilities was essential. Especially as the quality of these facilities was the most important factor for me when it came to choosing which university I wanted to attend. On the Open Day, I was very keen to see the music studios and production suites in person. Even though I’d looked at the facilities online I wanted to make sure that my online impression was accurate. After attending my subject talk we were given the opportunity to have a tour of the course facilities. I  was so impressed by the industry standard facilities that I instantly knew Leeds Beckett was the perfect place for me to study and somewhere I was 100% going to apply for. Your Open Day guidebook will state if your subject is providing a course faculties tour, if they are then I'd definitely recommend attending. 

Male student playing drums in a music studio

This is me recording drums in the biggest music studio in the new School of Arts building.

3) You can see the university’s accommodation options

If you’re planning on living in halls, an Open Day is a great way to see some of the university’s accommodation options. Even though you can see photos of all the university’s halls of residence online, nothing beats going and looking at the accommodation options in person. Don’t get me wrong, doing your research and looking online is an important first step, but if you can I would always go and view a hall in person, as it’s important to choose somewhere you will feel comfortable living in. 

You can find out which accommodation is open for viewings in your guidebook. The accommodation that’s available to view is open throughout the whole Open Day. There’s no need to pre-book, just pop along when convenient and explore the accommodation at your own pace. Student Ambassadors (who you’ll see wearing purple t-shirts) will also be on hand in each hall to answer any questions you may have. As well as looking at the halls, I’d suggest also attending an accommodation talk, as they cover key information, including the prices and how and when to book your accommodation. Members of staff from the accommodation team will also be running an information stand and will be available to answer your questions throughout the day, too.

Broadcasting tower premium room, double bed on the right with desk on the left

This is a bedroom in Broadcasting Tower.

4) Students and Staff will be on hand to answer any questions

At a Leeds Beckett Open Day, you will have the chance to ask current students and staff all your important questions. When I attended an Open Day as a prospective student one of the main things I did was ask lots of questions, as I wanted to get a better idea of life as a Leeds Beckett student and find out more about my course. At every Open Day, you’ll see plenty of Student Ambassadors on campus (identifiable by their green t-shirts) who will be eager to answer any questions and share their unique student insight. When I’m working at an Open Day I often get prospective students coming up to me and asking all sorts of questions, like how lively the city is, what the culture is like, and why I chose to study here. We love chatting with you and answering your questions so please don’t be afraid to approach any Student Ambassador you see. 

In addition to chatting with Student Ambassadors, you will also have the opportunity to speak to various types of staff, including teaching staff. You’ll find lectures at subject information stands and they will also be leading subject talks throughout the day. I found attending the Music subject talk very informative. I also liked being able to meet the staff who would be teaching the course. Attending a subject talk is very different from simply reading about the course online, the information is much more in-depth and you will also have the opportunity to ask questions. I found my subject talk gave me a more constructive and detailed view of the course than what is listed on the website, as I got a flavour of what the modules are all about, the teaching methods, and employment outcomes. 

5) You can get student finance advice and attend student money talks

When visiting an Open Day, the things that were top of my list were viewing the course facilities, seeing the accommodation options, and getting an idea of the social side of a university. However, one thing that is essential to think about is student finance, as this is something you will also be applying for if you're wanting a student loan. I had very little idea about student finance, so I was pleased to find that at Leeds Beckett’s Open Days you can attend student money advice talk. These talks tell you everything you need to know about tuition fees, living costs and student loans, along with useful tips for budgeting and managing your money at uni. While I had tried reading about things online, I found speaking to staff on the Open Day, and attending a money talk, gave me a much better understanding of student finance and how to prepare for budgeting as a student. If, like me, you have questions about student finance or aren't too sure how the process works, I'd definitely suggest attending a money advice talk. 

So there you have it, my five reasons for attending an Open Day. The final piece of advice I want to give you is don't be afraid ask questions. Open Days are your opportunity to decide if this a university you want to study at, so asking questions is important. All of the staff and students working at an Open Day are there to help you and are eager to answer any questions you may have. 

Come and visit us on our next Open Day.

We can't wait to give you a big Yorkshire welcome at our next Open Day. Come and view our campuses, chat to our students and staff, and discover if life as a Leeds Beckett student is for you.

BOOK YOUR PLACE NOW