Travelling across the pond from Sedona Arizona, a desert haven in the wild west, to study in Leeds, England, was the best decision I have ever made. In this blog post, I will be describing some of my favourite things to do in this great city and will tell you why I love living here as an international student.

CITY LIFE

My small hometown in the United States is very different from Leeds. For starters, Leeds has a population of over 700,000 – which is seventy times the population of Sedona, Arizona, where I’m from. Living and studying in a busy city which has so much going on is something I find so exciting and one of the main reasons why I love Leeds. 

After lectures I can take a quick walk into the city centre and hang out with my friends at one of the many trendy bars or fun establishments. Such as, Roxy Ballroom, which describes itself as "the home of booze and ball games", and has all the games you could want, from shuffleboards to pool tables, plus a fantastic cocktail menu.

Leeds also has lots of recurring and seasonal events, such as the Christmas Market that’s held in Millennium Square (only a short walk from City Campus). I can’t wait until the market comes back this year, as I love the cute wooden chalets and I’m looking forward to trying all the festive food. As well as this there are annual festivals like Light Night Leeds in October, which is the UK's largest annual arts and light festival, and Leeds International Film Festival which is held throughout November and includes independent film showings and interesting talks in venues across the city. All these events make Leeds such a vibrant place, and a great city to live in, and I love having so many fun events to get involved in all year round.

Ferris wheel lit up at Leeds Christmas market, taken at night

As well as cute stalls, the Christmas market has fun fairground rides like this ferris wheel

CITY PARKS

When I’m not busy exploring the city, I’m relaxing in the suburbs. One of the things I love is how many beautiful public parks Leeds has. There’s nothing like going for a walk when you need to clear your head, and here in Leeds we’re spoilt for choice when it comes to green spaces. My favourite park is Woodhouse Moor - often referred to as Hyde Park -  which has avenues of leafy trees, tennis courts, and a skateboard park. It’s also home to Woodhouse Moor parkrun, a free, weekly 5k run which anyone is allowed to take part in. I live in Headingley and often pass through here when I’m walking to the City Campus. In the summer months you’ll often find lots of people relaxing in Woodhouse Moor, soaking up the sun and enjoying an ice cream or two. While I do enjoy hanging out with my friends here when it’s sunny, I also enjoy walking here during autumn, as it’s nice seeing all the autumnal colours and walking through the crisp fallen leaves.

Woodhouse Moor

Woodhouse Moor is such a relaxing place

If, like me, you love open green spaces, there's lots more public parks for you to explore, including Beckett Park which is located next to Headingley Campus, the parkland around the magnificent Kirkstall Abbey, and gorgeous Roundhay Park, which is one of the biggest city parks in Europe. 

FOODIE HEAVEN

Living in Headingley means I’m close to lots of great cafes, restaurants and pubs. As an American living in England, I’m really enjoying experiencing all the different foods here. I particularly like trying out traditional British food and going to pubs like Wetherspoons, which is one of the most popular pub chains in the UK. You can find many different Wetherspoons pubs spread across the city, all housed in rather grand, interesting and unique buildings. The Golden Beam in Headingley is in a striking Egyptian revival art deco church.

What makes Wetherspoons amazing is that even though the buildings are often grand, the prices are super cheap and student friendly, making them a top choice for a meal out with your flatmates. 

In addition to great pub food, Leeds is a fantastic place to live if you’re a foodie on a budget. The city is well known for its excellent selection of street food which is both delicious and reasonably priced. Wherever you turn in the city centre you won’t be far from a tasty bite to eat. One place I really like is Kirkgate Market as whatever cuisine you fancy you can guarantee they’ll have it here.  Whether you want to try out the local Yorkshire delicacies at the Yorkshire Wrap Company, or have some mouth-watering Vietnamese food at Banh & Mee, there’s something for everyone here. 

Historical front architectural entrance of Leeds City Markets

After grabbing a bite to eat, I love wandering around Kirkgate Market and looking at the different stalls.

FRIENDLY FOLK IN A DIVERSE CITY

Finally, one of the main things I’m loving about my time at Leeds Beckett is the people. Leeds is one of the most diverse and friendliest cities in the UK and here at Leeds Beckett I’ve met lots of other international students from all over the world.

While I was a little nervous about making the leap and studying in another country, I’m so glad that I did, because moving to Leeds has allowed me to experience different cultures and meet people I would never have met otherwise. One of my best mates at university is from Portugal. I love learning about her Portuguese culture and sharing in her traditions, she’s even invited me to visit her hometown which is so exciting.

In addition to making friends with other international students, I love how friendly all the people in Leeds are. The people here have a unique northern charm and a particular Yorkshire dialect, which I find so warm and welcoming. I remember when I was very new to the city and had got slightly lost, an older woman approached me with a sweet smile and very kindly helped me out by pointing me in the right direction, while calling me ‘love’, which is a common term of endearment used by people who live in the north of England.

Living somewhere where the people welcome you instantly and make you feel at home is a very special thing to experience. 

All in all, I love living in Leeds and I’d say choosing to study here at Leeds Beckett has enriched my life in so many ways. The city of Leeds is such a welcoming and fun place to live and if you’re considering making the same leap that I did and choosing to study abroad, then Leeds is definitely a place I think you should consider.