My course

Before university I had a job in the media industry. I always wanted to do more in this field but felt limited with my options. During the pandemic, I decided to think about other avenues and research into a new area of potential study and new career path. Whilst travelling I found about Speech and Language Therapists and I was fascinated by the role. Being able to support individuals with difficulties in communication, eating, drinking and swallowing, through life changing care is incredible. I knew it would be rewarding and was something that I wanted to find out more about.

Welcoming and experienced staff

I chose Leeds Beckett University because of the staff and how welcoming they were, especially on the Open Day. It’s definitely different to how the staff were at my previous degree at another university. Since I don’t come from a health care background, they showed a clear understanding  about this and made me aware that it’s completely fine and that there were others like me. 

The staff are all experienced Speech and Language Therapists, which is amazing because if I have any questions, I know that they will know the answer to support me.

The helpful Open Day experience

I attended an Online Open Day and it was really helpful to hear from students about what they think about the course and honest opinions from their perspective. I also spoke to the course team (one that is now my academic advisor) to find out more about the course content which was very helpful.  

The staff were kind and patient and made me feel that it was ok to approach them with any question that I had. I also loved that the staff were passionate about this particular area of study and the teaching methods used in practice. This was important to me as I think it's valuable to have inspiring tutors that will share their knowledge and past experiences with you.

The placement opportunities

As this is an allied health course, accredited by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and Health & Care Professions Council. It is mandatory for me to have practical experience be able to register as a Speech and Language Therapist when I graduate. This is one of the reasons the course at Leeds Beckett was attractive as it provides you with links and contacts for placements in the industry. I now have a mixture of ongoing and block placements where I can work with various client groups in areas across Yorkshire and Humber.

I love that I am able to pull all the theories and teaching together and apply it on my placement when working with clients. Throughout my course I have definitely developed a variety of skills and gained so many opportunities and experience that I can apply to my future career.

The city and student life

I love that there are so many students here and I knew that would mean I would have the opportunity to meet so many different people. This has definitely been the case, whether that be through societies, sports, volunteering, in halls or walking around campus. The city has so many things to offer too. From shopping to nightlife and lots of other activities to try. Plus, the best thing is that it is all close by, so it’s easy to get around the city.

I am really happy that I chose Leeds Beckett and this course because without having made that decision, I wouldn’t be at this point in my life where I’m close to graduating to be a Speech and Language Therapist and working towards a new, exciting career ahead.