Hello everybody, my name is Anna. I have lived in Leeds for over a year now. My time here has been full of joy, so I have many experiences to share with you! Welcome to Leeds through the eyes of an international student from China! 

Markets in Leeds

There are several Chinese supermarkets to be found in Leeds. Taste the Orient is one of them. Here you can buy Chinese ingredients, snacks, vegetables, and cooking tools. You can even find materials and ingredients for the most popular Chinese cuisine, hot pot. If you are unwell, you can even buy Chinese medicine.

You have many choices for grocery shopping. Morrisons is the fifth-largest supermarket chain in the United Kingdom. It's huge. Here you can buy food, household items, and some electrical appliances. If you like to have a drink, there is plenty to choose from. Even if you don't like to drink, you'll likely find one you like. When buying alcohol, don't forget to bring your BRP as a form of identification.

In the city centre, there is a frozen food shop called Iceland. This is a great place to buy frozen meat, vegetables, and Pizza. Leeds also has an open market which is great for buying fresh meat, vegetables, and fruit at a lower price. Around Leeds, you can also find Aldi, Lidl, and Farmfoods, which are all cheaper than Morrisons. You can buy some Asian food in all these markets.

Shop front of Taste the Orient

Taste the Orient

Restaurants in Leeds

As a Chinese student, you do not need to worry about being unable to eat authentic Chinese food. There are many Chinese restaurants and many places to get Bubble Tea. Hunan is one of the most famous Chinese restaurants in Leeds and is known for its spicy food. The decoration of Hunan is Chinese style, so when you eat at Hunan, it is like going back to China. If you like spicy food, please come to this restaurant. It also serves Hotpot and grilled fish.

If you can't eat spicy food, you can go to another restaurant called Home. However, Home can be more expensive. If you come from the middle of China and miss noodles, you can go to Mr. Su. This restaurant is great for noodles and also serves dumplings. If you're celebrating with a group of friends, you can go to the Crown Buffet Chinese restaurant. The Crown is very large and can serve many people. As for where to find bubble tea, there are shops everywhere around Leeds. My favourite is called "Bantang" and I think it's the best bubble tea shop in Leeds. I like how it's decorated, and I enjoy having a chat in their shop.

Front view of Hunan Chinese Buffet

Hunan Chinese Buffet

Traveling in Leeds

Leeds is a big city with good transportation links, so you can travel almost anywhere. You can travel south to London, the United Kingdom's capital city. You can feel the charm of the city. There is a saying in London, "when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life". You can also stop off at some of the UK's historic cities, such as Oxford and Cambridge. You can travel north to Edinburgh in Scotland. Here you can explore Edinburgh castle and the largest Christmas market in the UK. If you're traveling to the sea, there are many places you can go, such as Scarborough and Whitby which I think are beautiful coastal towns. Whilst you're there, you must try one of the UK's most famous cuisines, Fish and Chips. You will love it!

If you want to stay in Leeds, there are many scenic places for you to enjoy. On a sunny day, you can go to Hyde park. Lying on the grass at Hyde Park is one of my favourite ways to relax. You can also go for a walk around one of the most popular attractions in Leeds, Roundhay Park. You can explore the gardens, see the mansion, and have a coffee at the lakeside café. There are also two large lakes where you can watch the swans and other wildlife.

view of Edinburgh castle

Edinburgh Castle

There are so many experiences from my time in Leeds that I could share with you. But I hope you can create your own experience during your time in Leeds!