Moving to the UK

This is the biggest choice I've ever had to make. Taking a risk by leaving my comfort zone was a big decision. September 14th, 2022 is the day I landed in Leeds. I can still clearly recall how many thoughts were running through my head. But It all came through. The one thing I learned here in past few months is that having the right people around you makes an immense impact in your goals and life. That doesn't mean that you try to fit in with random individuals and alter according to them. I always believed in working towards the goals and having individuals who fit your vibe and be there for each other.

Here are my tips on what you should do once you land in Leeds:

Get a job

Students must manage their finances and know how to allocate their money. Even if you come from a wealthy family and don't have a loan, being independent and aware of your costs can only make you stronger. The university can help you find employment. There are numerous part-time roles available, including those with the Student Union, Global Ambassador, and Student Ambassador. Watch out for them. I loved working as a Global ambassador and met many amazing people who stood by me.

Travel

Travelling brings peace, makes you stronger, and introduces you to amazing people. It helps you to clear your thoughts, and you should really make the most of your time in the UK by travelling around and seeing everything it has to offer. I've recently taken a trip to the Lake District, which was fantastic; I hiked to the top of the Wansfell Pike and took a boat across Windermere Lake.

Image of lake Windermere in Cumbria. The picture is taken from a dock with a boat to the side

Volunteer

Everything is not done for profit. Volunteering and experiences might give you free travel and enhance your resume. I like doing volunteer work in various locations and building up the opportunities for my journey.

Here I'm volunteering at an event in Leeds called Leeds Night Light. This event is the UK's largest lights festival using light projections and interactive displays.

Image of Blog Squad Author Ayesha volunteering at Leeds light night

Shopping

I LOVE SHOPPING!

I like shopping in different types of shops but mostly at thrift stores. Leeds has some amazing thrifts and shopping here gets you some unique and amazing stuff. As a cherry on the top, most of these shops are in conjunction with a charity so you're also contributing towards a cause when you shop.

Food

Good food is a good mood. Trying out food as well as cooking food is what I live for. I particularly love cooking for the people I'm close to.

Most of my friends in the UK love Indian food, especially the Biryani that I cook for them. I've also had the opportunity to put up a stall and serve "Gol gappas" which people praised me for.

The UK is a great opportunity an living here is a great and unique experience. Remember that you're living an experience that most people are dreaming for so I try to live life in the UK to the fullest and completely make the most of it. After all, making memories is what we should be living for.

Ayesha

Hi, I'm Ayesha! I'm an international student from India studying on the MSc International Events Management course at Headingley Campus. I love travelling but when I'm not exploring new places I'm cooking for my closest friends.