As I reflect on my time at university, I am grateful for all the opportunities given to me throughout my studies. I've had the chance to expand my horizons, both physically and academically but I've also gained invaluable work experience as a Student Ambassador.

In 2022, I set out for the UK, flying from Islamabad in Pakistan and arriving at Leeds Beckett. Leeds has a distinguished and well-known name, but it has also assisted me in developing skills that will be useful in the future. 

I chose to study oversea's to explor the diverse opportunities of international education and to learn the personal and professional skills that will benefit my career. As part of these opportunities, I've been able to work as a Student Ambassador.

Being a Global Student Ambassador

As a Global Student Ambassador, I work with the International Student Recruitment team and I've been able to represent my culture and engage with people from around the world. I've been given many opportunities to promote the university and help current and prospective students to truly engage with the university by sharing my own personal experiences.

What does this role involve?

The key role of a Student Ambassador is to engage with new students and answer any questions they may have around joining the university. I play an active role in the volunteering programs such as mentoring students in my subject area as well as sharing my insights into how to build a community, the best restaurants to eat at and help them find their way around the city. We even help collect students from the airport when they first arrive, assist them with orientation and provide tours of the campus to help them find their way around.

This helps ease students in their preparation for and the transition to studying in the UK.

Why I would recommend becoming a Global Student Ambassador

As a Student Ambassador, you have the opportunity to get involved with many different types of work. This has helped me develop new skills as well on improve the ones you already have.

It also gives you a chance to grow leadership and communication skills, and meet a broad range of students from across the university, making it a great way to make new friends.

What I really like is that it's a great way to meet members of staff from the university, which offers a great networking opportunity. However, prehaps the most rewarding part is mixing with determined young people that make me feel inspired. 

Being an advocate for Leeds Beckett on an international stage, has taught me a lot about the world and about myself. I have participated in a variety of extracurricular activities, initiatives and events that have improved my academic and professional skill set. I will profit for a very long time from the development of soft skills like communication, listening, public speaking and self-confidence. These will all benefit my future employment and make me more self-assured when I apply for jobs.

Finally, it's been absolutely fantastic to represent my country and culture throughout university. If their are any new students who are considering ways to kick start their careers, then being a Global Student Ambassador is a great place to start.