Leeds through my lens is a city not too bustling but lovely and friendly for international students. From historical landmarks to modern entertainment venues, Leeds is home to numerous attractions that make it an ideal destination for tourists and locals alike. It’s been more than haft a year of living here, I've had the pleasure of exploring the city and discovering its hidden gems. In this blog post, I'll share some of my favourite things to do in Leeds.

Immerse yourself in the beautiful nature of Roundhay Park

Roundhay Park is a picturesque public park that spans over 700 acres and is one of the largest city parks in Europe. The park features a stunning lake, woodlands, gardens, and several walking trails. Besides my hectic study schedule, I sometimes spend a sunny day off to have a picnic date with friends or take part in outdoor activities like cycling, fishing, or boating. Feeding swans or visiting Tropical World to see animals are also activities worth experiencing for a nature lover.

Explore the art, culture and history

Art and Culture are a must to delve into in Leeds. Thing I love is most of them are free entry, which are great options for a budget-friendly but insightful day out. Below are 3 iconic Leeds landmarks I’ve visited and had a massive impression on:

• Leeds Art Gallery - a must visit for art lovers, featuring a wide range of paintings and sculptures
  • The Royal Armouries - A fascinating attraction in Leeds Dock that showcased arms and armour from around the world
  • Kirkstall Abbey - One of the best preserved medieval abbeys in Britain.

Go Shopping

Do not miss these three places if you're a shopaholic. 

• Leeds Kirkgate Market for an affordable price. The market offers a wide range of goods, including fresh produce, meat, fish, clothing, jewellery, and much more. I love visiting the market for its vibrant atmosphere, a diverse range of products, and the opportunity to support local businesses.
  • Trinity Leeds for a more luxurious shopping experience. This is the city's go-to destination for retail, dining, leisure and entertainment. Paired with Trinity Kitchen, an innovative new take on eating out which combines high-quality restaurants, cafes and bars.
  • Corn Exchange for the unique finds. This place is great for more indie stores.

Enjoy voluntary activities

Volunteering is a must for me. Luckily, this year experience the city of Leeds like never before with an exciting programme of curated events designed to let culture loose named Leeds 2023 - Year of Culture. As a volunteer, I have a chance to contribute a small part to showing off Leeds to the world, putting the city front and centre in the nation’s mind with a bunch of creative events from dance to design, poetry to pop, and sculpture to sport. 

Fulfil the homesickness

As an international student, who is living far away from my hometown, cooking traditional dishes is a way to help me minimise homesickness. Vietnamese cuisine is always in my heart with rustic dishes but nutritionally balanced and top-notch flavours. I usually buy Asian stuff at Taste the Oriental supermarket then cook and have a cosy party at home with my fellow countrymen to have good memories and fulfil the homesickness together.

Spot bargains at vintage stores

There is no exaggeration to say that thrifting is my therapy. What's better and happier than finding a gem for just a few pounds but still high-quality and useful? So much stuff I bought at vintage stores/ charity shops such as clothing, kitchen utensils, shoes, ornaments, books, and even a vinyl record. Moreover, reuse is an important activity to fight fast fashion, promote sustainability and protect the environment. Trust me, wearing vintage not only saves your money but also makes you more unique and cooler than ever!

Leeds is a fantastic city with plenty of things to do and see. From exploring the vibrant markets to visiting the historic museums, there's something for everyone in this wonderful city. So, make sure to check out my top 6 activities and discover the beauty and charm of Leeds.