If you’re considering coming to Leeds to study, I promise you won’t regret it. From the moment I set foot in the city, it felt like home. Plus, its perfect size makes it ideal if you prefer a city that's not overwhelmingly large. When I was applying to universities and attending Open Days, I had a key list of things that I was looking for. One of those key factors, was the location and Leeds certainly did not disappoint me. The array of sites, night life, places to eat and Leeds Trinity for shopping makes for a perfect day out. 

If you are not fond of clubbing, there are plenty of other things to see & do!

The social life

Leeds has a lot to offer, day or night. If you’re a fan of going out and exploring the Leeds nightlife, it’s definitely worth taking a look at all the club events especially during Fresher’s Week. My go to places during first year was always Walkabout Wednesdays, so much so that it became one of mine and my friends favourite place to go. As well as O2 PROJEKT nights that happen every Saturday, where I’ve had loads of memorable nights too

However, now I’m a second-year student, my perspective on clubbing has shifted. While I still appreciate a good night out occasionally, I find myself doing it less often. Instead, I've grown to prefer outings centred around meals, casual bars, and even cozy pubs for a cheeky pint or two. Currently now living in Hyde Park and near the Headingley area, I find myself discovering new places around these areas, which have now become my new go to’s

For example, Tuesday nights at the Royal Park Pub has become a new favourite. It's a magnet for second and third-year students residing in Hyde Park or Headingley. Fondly known as RPP, it’s a hotspot for social drinks, watching football games and in the evenings especially on Tuesdays, becoming a dance floor with a DJ playing music - giving you the familiar vibe of a club but in a small area of a pub. 

When it comes to bars, Manahatta in Headingley has been a personal favourite. There are even a few which are located in the city centre if you’re living more centrally. On Merrion Street and Greek Street, Manahatta offers a New York-inspired atmosphere giving you student deals of 2 4 1 cocktails. Perfect for a night out!

If you are not fond of clubbing, there are plenty of other things to see & do! Located in The Light there is ‘Junkyard Golf’, ‘The Light Cinema’, ‘Pixel Bar’, and many more. My top tip would be to look on social media platforms, whether that would be on TikTok or Instagram if you’re wanting to find out more about what else there is to do in Leeds.

How Leeds Beckett can help you settle into your new lifestyle

Moving to a new city can be daunting, especially as you take that next step into university life. But Leeds Beckett, as a university, can help you create your social scene. From joining various societies to socialising at the Students’ Union, The Hive, you'll have plenty of opportunities to connect and find your niche. Embracing this newfound independence may feel overwhelming at first, but Leeds Beckett is there to help you adjust. Getting out of your comfort zone is key and finding your people will help you settle in more. 

From personal experiences, I managed to grow my circle of friends through my flatmates, course mates and meeting people through the Leeds Beckett Freshers Group on Facebook. Now, I share a university house with one of my original flatmates, a course mate, and my first university friend, who introduced me to another course mate, making a total of five of us living together. Mixing these friendship groups has opened doors to meeting even more people and branching out into their circles. I’m quite shy so this took some time, but these experiences have helped me grow as a person and have made me more independent and confident.

I hope by reading this blog that I have given some good advice and guidance if you’re thinking of attending Leeds Beckett and suggestions of what to check out, if you want to go and explore during your time at Leeds. Going to university allows for you to discover a new side to yourself. I gained more confidence and became more independent. I’m spending these three or four years creating the best memories of my life and you could do the same too!