Terms and Conditions
In these terms and conditions (“Terms”),
- ‘you’, ‘your’ means a student of Leeds Beckett University.
- ‘us’, ‘we’, ‘our’ means Leeds Beckett University, a higher education corporation whose principal place of business is at the Rose Bowl, City Campus, Leeds LS1 3HB.
Acceptance of terms
- Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully, when booking your graduation place you will be asked to accept the Terms and Conditions and will not be able to book without doing this. We reserve the right to update the Terms and Conditions at any time by displaying amended Terms and Conditions on www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/graduation (“the website”). You will be notified of any updates to the Terms and Conditions via email.
- Where there is any conflict or inconsistency between these Terms and Conditions and any of our other terms and conditions governing your use of the Website, these Terms and Conditions shall prevail (solely to the extent necessary to resolve such conflict or inconsistency).
Booking places and buying guest tickets
- If you wish to attend your graduation ceremony you are required to book in advance. You should book online using our online store. Booking times and dates can be found on the website. Your attendance at the graduation ceremony is free of charge (subject to any late registration fee), although you will need to pay us for any guest tickets. You will also need to book and pay for academic dress (cap and gown) separately with William Northam Robemakers & Photographers in advance of your ceremony date and before Friday 3 July 2020. It is mandatory that you wear the appropriate academic dress.
- If you have an outstanding tuition fee debt with us, you will not be able to attend a graduation ceremony until it has been settled. If it is not settled by Friday 26 June 2020 you will not be able to attend Graduation 2020. Your place will be cancelled and any guest tickets purchased will be refunded.
- If you are unable to attend the time and date of your allocated graduation ceremony, you will not be able to transfer to a different ceremony time and date. You can either graduate in absentia or defer to 2021. If there are extenuating circumstances with your inability to attend your allocated time and date of your ceremony, these may be considered. Please contact the Events team at email@example.com.
- In the event of your allocated ceremony time and date being oversubscribed, we reserve the right to transfer you to an alternative ceremony time and date.
- There is no charge for booking if you do so on or before Sunday 24 May 2020. If you book on or after Monday 25 May 2020, we hold the option to charge a non-refundable late booking fee of £50 in addition to the cost of any guest tickets, both of which are payable via the online store.
- If you book on or after Monday 25 May 2020, we cannot guarantee that your certificate will be available on the day or that a seat will be reserved for you.
- There is a charge of £10 per guest tickets. You are limited to a maximum of two guest tickets per student. If you book on or before Sunday 24 May 2020, you will be eligible to purchase guest tickets through the online store at the point of booking. If you book on or after Monday 25 May 2020, we are unable to guarantee that guest tickets will be available.
- Children aged two years can attend the ceremony but will need to sit on the lap of a parent or guardian, and you will need an under 2s guest ticket from the online store, for each child attending.There is no charge for an under 2s guest ticket.
- If you are a registered disabled student and need a carer to accompany you at your graduation ceremony, you should advise the Events team at the time of booking, as you might be eligible for a free of charge additional guest ticket. You must contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so that we can make appropriate arrangements.
- If any of your guests are registered disabled or have access needs, you should advise the Events team at the time of booking, as you might be eligible for a free of charge additional guest ticket. You should contact email@example.com as soon as possible so that we can make appropriate arrangements.
- You will receive confirmation of booking and purchase of all guest tickets by email normally within 24 hours. You are advised not to make travel arrangements for you or your guests until you have received the confirmation email. If you do not receive the confirmation email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. We advise you not to make travel arrangements for additional guests until you have secured tickets for them.
- Information about receiving your e-ticket and your guests’ e-tickets will be communicated to all students in advance of your graduation ceremony. All students and guests will require an e-ticket (on a mobile device or printed) to gain entrance to the venue. Entry will not be permitted without a valid e-ticket. You will also need your e-ticket to register your attendance on the day.
- We do not accept any responsibility for any booking or guest ticket reservation that you do not have confirmation of. This is for any reason, whether lost, delayed, corrupted, due to any technical difficulties, malfunctions or otherwise.
- All guest tickets must be bought in advance. We cannot guarantee that any guest tickets will be available to purchase on the day of your ceremony. In the event that tickets are available, these will be on sale from City Campus on the day of your ceremony only. Students must accompany any guests buying tickets on the day to comply with GDPR.
- On or after Monday 1 June 2020, any unsold guest tickets may be released for sale via the Online Store and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis until they have sold out. These additional guest tickets cost £15 each. Students will be informed via email and the website if additional guest tickets are available for their ceremony time and date. The number of available tickets may change throughout additional ticket sales period as places are cancelled and refunds issued. You should check the website regularly for availability.
Cancellations and refunds
- You may cancel your booking and any guest tickets by email to email@example.com at any time before your ceremony and you will be eligible for a refund for any guest ticket fees paid. Requests for refunds after the date and time of your ceremony will be issued at our sole discretion. All requests for refunds must be made by Wednesday 30 September 2020 to be considered.
- If you are ineligible to attend your graduation ceremony because you have not met the criteria for conferment of an award we will automatically refund any ticket fees paid. Refunds will normally be processed by Monday 31 August 2020. In such circumstances, we are not responsible for any additional costs incurred by you or your guests. Late booking fees are non-refundable. Refunds for late booking fees will only be available in exceptional circumstances at our sole discretion.
- We reserve the right, acting reasonably, to cancel or delay any or all graduation ceremonies in response to circumstances beyond our reasonable control.
On the day
- Graduation is a formal occasion and you are expected to dress appropriately in business or formal clothing. Denim, leisure-wear and party-wear are not permitted. You must wear the correct Leeds Beckett University academic dress (cap and gown) for the ceremony in order to gain access to the graduation auditorium. This is available from William Northam Robemakers & Photographers who are our official gown supplier. We reserve the right to refuse you entry to the ceremony if you are not dressed appropriately. You and your guests must behave in an appropriate manner. We have the right to eject anyone behaving inappropriately or causing concern in relation to safety, health or wellbeing.
- You must check-in at City Campus at least two hours before the start of your ceremony. Doors to Leeds Town Hall close 15 minutes before the start of each ceremony.
- All guests must have an e-ticket (on a mobile device or printed) to attend graduation. Doors will close and guests must be seated at least 15 minutes before the ceremony begins. We reserve the right to refuse entry or remove any student or guest where it appears to us in our sole discretion to be necessary for the good conduct of proceedings and /or the safety, health, and wellbeing of students, guests, or staff.
- Backpacks and large bags are not permitted in the auditorium. Cloakrooms will be available for any items deemed oversized or otherwise by our Security team. Any items left in the cloakroom will be done so at the owner’s risk and we do not accept liability for any items left in the cloakroom or unattended any of the venues used for graduation activity. Bag and body searches will be in operation. All visitors will be screened prior to entry into the venue. Please allow sufficient time before your ceremony to pass through security. Prams, pushchairs and mobility scooters are not permitted in the auditorium.
- By booking a graduation ceremony, you are giving your consent to us publishing your full name (as it appears in our student record system) and award title in the programme and on graduation merchandise. If you do not wish for your information to be used in this way, you must notify us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Sunday 24 May 2020.
Filming and use of images
- All graduation ceremonies may be photographed, filmed, and/or live streamed via live webcast across the internet at www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/graduation by us or our agents. Your name will be announced as you cross the stage, this is a mandatory action for every student attending the graduation ceremony. By booking for graduation, you are giving your consent to the recording and transmission of images (both still and moving) of you and your guests. We retain all rights in any images and/or film, which may be used for publicity purposes and marketing materials. In addition to this, footage from graduation will be made publicly available on YouTube and Facebook live during and after the graduation ceremony. This footage remains on our website for the foreseeable future. If you do not wish for your information to be used in this way, you must notify us by email to email@example.com on or before Sunday 24 May 2020.
Graduation third party services
- We will share your personal data (student ID, name, course and award) with our third-party suppliers for graduation in order to enhance the experience we provide to you and improve the service you receive from them. Third party suppliers include, but are not limited to: our official gowning provider, with whom we will share your data to improve their booking service; approved sign language interpreters, with whom we will share data to improve the experience during the ceremony; we may also share your data with a video clip contractor to enable them to provide you with a personalised clip of you crossing the stage at graduation.
- Any services purchased such as hospitality or photography and gown hire are entered into with your own contract with suppliers who should be contacted directly about their refund policy. You agree that we are neither liable to you whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise for any indirect or consequential losses and any losses arising from any contracts you enter into with any third parties in relation to your graduation ceremony.
- Issues beyond our control should be taken up with the relevant third party.
- If your graduation ceremony cannot take place or is delayed because of a decision we reasonably take in response to circumstances beyond our reasonable control, we will not be liable for any direct or indirect losses incurred by you or your guests. Examples of such circumstances include (without limitation): war, terrorism, civil commotion; fire, flood, adverse weather, natural disaster, act of God; outbreak of communicable disease, epidemic, or pandemic; any strike or labour dispute; interruption or failure of any utility service; any law or government order, rule, regulation, or action by a government or public authority. You and your guests should ensure that you have sufficient insurance protection to cover any losses you may suffer as a result of a ceremony being cancelled or delayed.
Failure to comply with any of the above Terms and Conditions may result in the student and their guests losing their places at the graduation ceremony.