Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Bill Davies
About Dr Bill Davies
Bill is a Senior Lecturer in Criminology and co-lead of the Leeds Beckett Prison Research Network (PRisoN). He joined Leeds Beckett University in October 2012 and has taught on the BA and MSc Criminology courses.
Bill's PhD examined the lived experiences of short sentenced prisoners, identifying that by imprisoning people for short periods of time we are depriving those people of opportunities to better their lives. Bill, along with colleague Helen Nichols, leads a multi-disciplinary research group on the broad topic of imprisonment and its wider social impact.
Bill teaches on the following modules on our BA (Hons) Criminology course:
- LBUnlocked (Penology module delivered in HMP Full Sutton)
- Introduction to Criminology
- The Tattooed Criminal
- Dissertation supervisor on BA and MSc Criminology courses
Currently, Bill is working with colleagues across the country to develop Convict Criminology, a strand of Criminology led by ex-prisoner academics. In addition to this Bill and his colleague Helen Nichols deliver university accredited education within HMP Full Sutton to serving prisoners alongside university students studying the LBUnlocked module.
In addition to this, the Prison Research Network aims to expand into the society offering advice and guidance to users within the criminal justice system alongside developing continued professional development opportunities for workers within the criminal justice system. All of which will be influenced by the research of the network.
Journal articles (2)
- Davies WN (2015) Unique Position: Dual Identities as Prison Researcher and Ex-prisoner. In: Davies WN The Palgrave Handbook of Prison Ethnography. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 463-478.
- Leeds Beckett and Full Sutton Prison partnership expanded
- Leeds Beckett University and Full Sutton prison form education partnership
- Students and prisoners graduate together at HMP Full Sutton
- Social impact of prison examined at Leeds conference
- Prisoners at High Security Prison enrol at Leeds Beckett University