Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Maria O'Reilly
About Dr Maria O'Reilly
Maria's work focuses on the gender politics of war and peace, and in particular the region of the former Yugoslavia. Her current research explores how gendered agency emerges in response to war and to post-war peacebuilding interventions. It also examines the extent to which international intervention in (post-)conflict contexts help to promote gender-just forms of peace.
Maria previously held an AHRC Postdoctoral fellowship in the School of Politics and International Relations at Queen Mary, University of London. Her research on ‘The Gender Politics of Demilitarisation: Examining DDR from the Perspective of Female (Ex)-Combatants’ was funded by an Innovation Award from the Partnership for Conflict, Crime and Security Research (PaCCS).
Prior to that, Maria was Postdoctoral Researcher for the European Research Council funded 'Gender of Justice' project at Goldsmiths, University of London. At Goldsmiths, she was also Principal Investigator for the project, ‘Gendered Agency in War and Peace: The Reintegration of War-Affected Women and Female Ex-Combatants in Post-Conflict Bosnia-Herzegovina’, funded by the British Academy.
She completed her PhD in the Department of War Studies, King’s College London, in 2014.
Current TeachingPostgraduate modules:
- Critical Perspectives on Peace & War
- Gendering the International
- MA Dissertation
- International Actors and Institutions
- Politics, Ethics, and Justice
Maria is currently finalising her research on ‘The Gender Politics of Demilitarisation' project. This project examines the relationship between gender, agency and international security, looking in particular at the case of (post-)conflict Bosnia & Herzegovina. It explores whether contemporary security practices provide 'gender security' in (post)conflict settings, and examines the ways in which gendered agency and resistance emerges in response to peace and security interventions.
Maria is also working with Dr. Laura McLeod (University of Manchester) to develop a feminist analysis of key concepts, methods and approaches used in the field of Critical Peace & Conflict Studies. They recently co-edited a Special Issue of the journal Peacebuilding, on the theme 'Critical Peace & Conflict Studies: Feminist Interventions'.
Examples of Research Funding:
2016-2017 – Principal Investigator, ‘The Gender Politics of Demilitarisation: Examining DDR from the Perspective of Female (Ex)-Combatants,’ Innovation Award, Partnership for Conflict, Crime and Security Research (co-funded AHRC/ESRC) - AH/N008480/1 - £ 99,388
2015-2016 – Principal Investigator, ‘Gendered Agency in War and Peace: The Reintegration of War-Affected Women and Female Ex-Combatants in Post-Conflict Bosnia-Herzegovina’, British Academy Small Grants Scheme - £9,980
2008-12 - ESRC 1+3 studentship (Open Competition Award) - UK Fees and Stipend
Journal articles (4)
- Campbell K; Demir E; O'Reilly MF (2019), Understanding conflict-related sexual violence and the 'everyday' experience of conflict through witness testimonies.. Cooperation and Conflict
View Repository Record
- McLeod L; O'Reilly MF (2019), Critical peace and conflict studies: feminist interventions. Peacebuilding, vol. 7 (2), p. 127-145.
View Repository Record
- O'Reilly MF (2016), Peace and Justice through a Feminist Lens: Gender Justice and the Women's Court for the Former Yugoslavia. Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding, vol. 10 (3), p. 419-445.
- O'Reilly MF (2012), Muscular Interventionism: Gender, Power and Liberal Peacebuilding in Post-Conflict Bosnia-Herzegovina. International Feminist Journal of Politics, vol. 14 (4), p. 529-548.
- Reilly MO (2017) Gendered Agency in War and Peace Gender Justice and Women's Activism in Post-Conflict Bosnia-Herzegovina. . Springer.
- O'Reilly MF (2020) From Gendered War to Gendered Peace? Feminist Perspectives on International Intervention in Sites of Conflict. In: O'Reilly MF Handbook of Intervention and Statebuilding. : Edward Elgar, pp. .
- O'Reilly MF (2017) Feminism and the Politics of Difference. In: O'Reilly MF Oxford Research Encyclopedia of International Studies. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 1-35.
- O'Reilly MF (2013) Gender and Peacebuilding. In: O'Reilly MF Routledge Handbook of Peacebuilding. : Routledge, pp. 57-68.