Dr Nasser Hussain
About Dr Nasser Hussain
Nasser has a variety of writing and research interests, revolving around contemporary poetry and poetics, embodiment and performance, and creative writing. Current foci include autobiography, Conceptual writing, the ethics of appropriation, and a number of writing projects that seek to find and recuperate 'lost' fragments of language, including SKY WRI TEI NGS - a work that composes poetry from IATA airport codes.
Nasser is currently working on a trilogy of books that consider mass transit (planes, trains and automobiles), of which SKY WRI TEI NGS is the first. He is also a Ledbury Emerging Critic, and serves on the Editorial Board for Coach House Books in Toronto. Alongside his creative projects, Nasser is also working on an article that critically engages with a neglected area of bpNichol's writings for television. He would welcome expressions of interest form anyone curious about Conceptual writing, Experimental literature, and avant-garde poetry and poetics.
- Contemporary Literary Studies
- Writer's Workshop 1&2
- Rewritings (MA)
Nasser's research into contemporary experimental writing has resulted in several international reviews and coverage (the Canadian Broadcasting company listed his most recent book as one of the top 12 books of poetry published in Canada in 2018). He has also served as Writer-in-Residence at the University of Windsor, and for First Story in Bradford. His ongoing interest in contemporary poetry is finding expression through the Ledbury Emerging Critics programme - an international, UK-based initiative designed to publish more critical reviews by people of colour in mainstream presses. He has published reviews for the Poetry School, Poetry London, Ambit, and various other outlets.
Journal articles (1)
- Hussain NS (2009) Performing Ketjak: The theater of the observed
- Hussain N (2014) Bodies of Information: Cross Border Poetics in the 21st Century. In: Parallel Encounters Culture at the Canada-US Border. : Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, pp. .
- Hussain N (2014) The Work of Criticism
- Hussain N (In press) Next Generation Poets National Tour
- Hussain N (In press) Nasser Hussain: Why the Open Mic is the Best Part of Poetry