Young And Foodish: Your First Flat Feast
Prep: 15min Cook: 1 hr Serves: 6
1.5kg (3 lb) chicken wings
2 tablespoons olive oil
7 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
225ml (8 fl oz) honey
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
- Place chicken in one layer in a baking dish. Mix together the oil, soy sauce, ketchup, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken.
- Bake in preheated oven for one hour, or until sauce is caramelised.
1 tbsp olive oil
120g smoked streaky bacon, sliced into matchsticks
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
grated parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the spaghetti following pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the bacon for 3-4 mins until just starting to crisp. Stir in the onion and cook for another 3-4 mins, then add the garlic and smoked paprika, and cook for 1 min more.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, bring to the boil and bubble for about 5 mins until thickened, stirring every so often to stop it catching on the bottom. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Serve with Parmesan, if you like.
8 eating apples, peeled, cored and cubed
6 tbsp Carnation caramel cream (this comes in a can or a squeezy tube)
50g plain flour
50g porridge oat
50g cold butter, diced
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the apples into a saucepan with a splash of water, cover, then cook over a high heat for 4-5 mins, stirring now and then until just soft. Stir in 3 tbsp of the caramel, then tip into small ovenproof dishes. Dot small spoonful’s of caramel cream over the apples until only 1 tbsp is left.
- Mix the flour and oats together, then rub in the butter with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in the remaining caramel, then scatter over the apples. Bake for 18-20 mins until golden and crisp on top.
For more cheap and cheerful, simple-to-make student recipes, check out BBC Good Food student recipes.