The Risks

Dizziness, which might make you act carelessly or dangerously.

Heavy regular use of nitrous oxide can lead to a deficiency of vitamin B12 and to a form of anaemia. Severe B12 deficiency can lead to serious nerve damage, causing tingling and numbness in the fingers and toes. This can be very painful and make walking difficult.

Regular use can stop you forming white blood cells properly.

It can be hard to judge the amount to use safely. If you have too much you can end up fainting, having an accident or worse.

The Law

Nitrous Oxide is a psychoactive drug and is covered by the 2016 Psychoactive Substances Act, which means it’s illegal to give away or sell whether for free or sale.

Supply and production can get you up to 7 years in prison, an unlimited fine or both.

Like drink-driving, driving when high is dangerous and illegal. If you’re caught driving under the influence, you may receive a heavy fine, driving ban, or prison sentence.

If the police catch people supplying illegal drugs in a home, club, bar or hostel, they can potentially prosecute the landlord, club owner or any other person concerned in the management of the premises.

Know your Codes: Nitrous Oxide, Your Tenancy and The Student Code of Discipline

Possession and supply of Nitrous Oxide is prohibited under your tenancy agreement and the Student Code of Discipline. In addition, the possession and supply of any illegal substances is prohibited as part of your tenancy and defined as misconduct under the Student Code of Discipline.

With the above in mind, Leeds Beckett as your landlord are duty bound under the Misuse of Drugs Act (1971) to not let drug misuse knowingly happen. If you are found to be in possession of Nitrous oxide or any illegal substance, these items will be confiscated and there will be an investigation into the incident under the Student Code of Discipline.

Are you worried about drug use or worried about a friend?

There is lots of support that you can access. Should you be concerned about any activity in your residence, you can speak to a member of the reception team at your respective halls. Similarly, you can also email to make an appointment to speak with a member of the Reslife team.

The University has a wellbeing team whereby you can register to meet with a member of the wellbeing team. The service is free and confidential.

Forward Leeds are a drug and alcohol service in Leeds that offer a range of services. You can contact them on Tel: 0113 887 2477 or at

More from the blog

All blogs