How studying virtually helps me balance study, work and home life

Student Story | Jayde Davies

Woman smiling with a cap on

Jayde Davies is a BA (Hons) Montessori Education student at Leeds Beckett University. Completing her course online, Jayde has been able to balance studying with a full-time job and home commitments. 

Course: BA (Hons) Montessori Education

What made you decide to study BA (Hons) Montessori Education?

I chose to do this course as I work with children currently and wanted to expand my skills for professional development. I had always been interested in Montessori education as I have four children of my own and they have been brought up with Montessori influence and this made me want to study it further.

Why was Leeds Beckett your university of choice?

Leeds Beckett had the specific course I wanted to do, and I could study online which helps when you have a busy life! The modules all sounded really interesting, and I would be studying with students from around the world!

What’s it like studying your course online?

Learning online is the only way I could have done this course. I live in Surrey and the university is in Leeds so there is no way I could have travelled for lessons. I can work in my own time and often watch pre-recorded lectures whilst cooking my children’s dinner! 

There is so much help and support available, I have tutorials with my tutor, and we all keep up to date with assignments via a what’s app group, which is really handy when your away from the computer.

Studying virtually has made it possible for me to work full time, run a busy house hold and still study!

Have you completed any work placements on your course?

I have been in a work placement throughout the course in my local primary school. I have worked with different children and in different classes and the experience I have gained has been invaluable.

What do you most enjoy about studying BA (Hons) Montessori Education?

I really enjoy the live seminars, it’s a chance to engage in the course with other students. We really have a laugh each week and with it being an online course, it gives you that social interaction that is really needed.

Each module and assignment is different so I have learnt loads of new skills. I have learnt how to do presentations, speaking in front of people, how to structure essays, academic writing techniques and so much more!

What are the tutors like on your course? 

Our tutor is amazing. He really engages us on our course and makes each seminar really fun. He is always on the end of an email if I have a question and organises tutorials around my schedule. We have also had guest lecturers which has been really interesting too.

What are your career aspirations for after you graduate university?

After the course I would really like to study further. I feel as though being on this course has sparked my love for learning and I’ve really enjoyed it. 

What advice would you give other prospective students who may be thinking of studying Montessori Education?

I would say to definitely do it. The course teaches you so much more than just Montessori education. I’ve learnt lifelong skills, met amazing people, studied around my own time and have a placement that I really enjoy.