Second-year students Caitlin Page and Ben Dinning and third-year student Laura Bennett spoke to the businessman and former chairman of Sunderland AFC ahead of the release of his autobiography, ‘I’d Do It All Again’.

Sir Bob specifically requested that BA Journalism students have an opportunity to interview him as part of his media activities to promote the book.

Caitlin said: “Before the interview I had done my own research to prepare my questions; however, my research would never have prepared me for meeting Sir Bob. Within the first ten minutes of our interview, Sir Bob’s generosity and humbleness shone through.”

“Sir Bob has a passion for education and emphasises the importance of hard work and not giving up no matter how hard the challenge may seem. Having someone with this ethos at the head of our university is inspirational”.

Laura noticed Sir Bob’s passion for education too.

She said: “Education is extremely important to Sir Bob. He created a scholarship which is given out yearly to Leeds Beckett students to support them throughout their time at University and he makes every effort to check in on the students to make sure they are doing okay”.

When asked what he wants his legacy to be, Sir Bob referred to the three students in the room and said: “People like you guys, I think education is very important and it can change lives”.

Ben said that the opportunity to interview Sir Bob was the highlight of his journalism career so far.

“After the interview we received some great feedback which was encouraging to hear,” said Ben. “This was a much-needed confidence booster”.

Ben had other reasons to appreciate the opportunity too: “For a football fan like myself, Sir Bob’s work in the game, first with Sunderland and then England was enough to draw me in. I was fascinated to find out just how colourful his life has been”.

For Laura, the opportunity to interview Sir Bob was personal:

“Being from a small town in the Northeast like Sir Bob, it was inspiring to hear how he grew up in a council house, left school with one O-level, took nine tries to pass his English and decided he wanted to make something of himself”.

In a long career with many highlights, Sir Bob singled out his knighthood as a “big thing” and, later, the Freedom of The City of Sunderland. “It’s nice to be recognised by your own people.” Sir Bob told our students.

His autobiography pays tribute to Lance Hardy, the writer and former BBC Sports Editor, who began working on ‘I’d Do It All Again’ with Sir Bob in 2018.

Lance passed away after the first draft was completed. “This book is as much of Lance’s legacy now as it is Sir Bob’s,” said former Sunderland AFC Marketing and Commercial Director Lesley Callaghan.

The autobiography will be available to buy now  from www.sirbobmurraybook.com and all proceeds will go to the Foundation of Light charity.

Image of Sir Bob Murray with BA journalism students