What drew you to study law?

I’ve always wanted to study law, and I chose my A levels with that goal firmly in mind. I think the great thing about studying law, and one that not enough people realise, is that there are so many careers you can go into afterwards – people think it’s all about becoming a lawyer or a barrister or a solicitor, but there are other options to explore.

Having a knowledge of law is relevant to so many parts of life, and it will always need humans to do the job - that appealed to me because we won’t be made redundant by robots. People are reassured by people, and I’m very much a people person which is why law was a natural choice for me.

Why did you choose to study at Leeds Beckett?

Leeds Beckett wasn’t initially on my radar, but on A level results day I went through Clearing to secure a place here. Everyone I spoke to at Leeds Beckett was so friendly, helpful and reassuring, they really stood out from other universities. Everything happens for a reason.

I was invited up to see the campus and once I’d visited with my mum, I just knew it was the place for me. I love Leeds, it feels full of opportunity and is such a growing city - in the next few years there’s only going to be more opportunity. I think people get too London focused; I wanted to come up North.

What’s been your experience during your first few weeks at Leeds Law School?

I feel like I’ve got into the swing of university life quickly. Freshers Week was fun, and then you quickly realise you’ve got to do a degree now!

In Welcome Week you’ll enroll, learn all the systems and processes of the university, and you’ll have your academic tutor meeting. I felt pretty settled straight away.

I love Leeds as a city, everything feels so together, all in one place. At home I lived in a village where you have to drive everywhere. The other day my phone broke, and I was at the Apple shop in town in 10 minutes.

The city campus is so modern, there’s a real vibe here. There are great facilities, like a mooting room, and the classrooms are spacious. The library is amazing, set over four floors with lots of social spaces.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett so far?

I like the political side of Public Law, it’s very current, but I genuinely like all of it so far. We did a practical mini case the other day and looked at who was at fault; that was interesting.

I feel 100% confident in the education I’m going to get here. Some lectures and seminars are online, which I love because you can pause and rewind to take it all in in your own time, but you also have plenty of personal drop-in sessions and meetings which give you the chance to understand subjects further, with help from tutors. It’s the perfect mix of learning styles for me. You learn yourself, with all the help and resources you need from the School, and you also have loads of opportunities to say “I don’t understand this” with zero judgement.

What advice would you give someone thinking about applying to Leeds Law School?

Be open minded. I was really excited to come to Leeds Law School, I felt so ready, especially after lockdown. I’m a confident person, but there’s always that fear that you won’t get along with the people in your flat, or you’ll feel lonely at first.

Freshers is weird - you’re working out who you’re going to be friends with, what uni life is like, but I think the best bit comes after. You get into your routine, get your timetable, and that’s when you establish friendships and feel more settled.

What reasons would you give other students to study at Leeds Law School?

I think studying law can sound quite intimidating, but this course is very accessible.

There is a lot of opportunity at Leeds Law School; the academic team know exactly what they’re doing and how to get you where you want to be. I believe that you get out what you put in, and the School gives you everything you need to do amazingly well. I feel very supported here.

What are your career aspirations?

I’m staying open minded, but my goal at the moment is to become a solicitor. I might have the opportunity to study abroad for a year as part of my course – I will jump at that chance!

Thank you, Sophie, for sharing your experiences. If you are a student at Leeds Law School and would like to share your story, please get in touch.