Leeds Law School

From Philosophy to Paralegal: changing direction to study International Business Law

Karolina Majka is currently in her final year of the LLM International Business Law at Leeds Beckett University. Alongside her degree, Karolina works in one of the biggest law companies in Wales as a senior paralegal, specialising in personal injury.

Karolina graduated as a Bachelor of Philosophy from the University of Wrocław, Poland, in 2013. She came to the UK to pursue her interests in law, graduating from Cardiff University in 2019 with an LLB Law and Criminology. She shares why she chose our distance learning course, and how she juggles work and study.

Law school student Karolina smiles at the camera, wearing navy jumpsuit with blue shoes

What made you apply for the course?

Expanding my knowledge in law is my passion, so I always knew I wanted to do a Master’s in law. However, I was looking for more than just a law degree, which is why I found the LLM International Business Law so tempting. I wanted an online learning course, due to my full-time work commitment, and I found Leeds Beckett gave the option to study on a part-time basis, which presented the perfect opportunity to complete my dream postgraduate degree.

How are you finding the course so far?

I enjoy everything about it.  It’s very engaging, challenging (in a good way!), and I’ve been impressed by the high standard of the course and its assessments. While I decided to complete my postgraduate degree on a part-time basis, a high level of engagement and commitment is still necessary.

What do you enjoy most about the course?

Studying LLM International Business Law allows me to deepen my knowledge of different areas of international law and has helped to crystalise my personal goals and development objectives - I know which area of law I want to link my future with.

I was also very grateful that my hard work and commitment were noticed - I won the Leeds Law School Prize for EU Antitrust Law on the International Business Law LLM, as well as being a joint winner of the Leeds Law School Prize for Best Overall Performance in Intellectual Property Law.

What’s your plan after completing the course, and how is Leeds Law School supporting you to get there?

I am working as a senior personal injury paralegal, which is a very specific area of law, but I always wanted to work in an international / commercial law firm. Thanks to the course, I now see that career change as realistic. I am currently working on my Master's dissertation with research focused on Competition Law. My supervisor is extremely helpful and supportive which is also very motivating. I am confident that the course will allow me to expand the area of my expertise, providing a great addition to my CV.

What advice would you give to students considering this course?

I cannot recommend this course enough. It has met, if not exceeded, my expectations.  I will be honest - this is not an easy course - but nothing in life worth having is easy. The course is very engaging and interesting, but in order to complete it successfully, you need to put in an appropriate level of effort. Some modules are more difficult than others, but all of them have proven to be compelling and useful.

If I can give one piece of advice, it would be to complete the units' exercises systematically - the feedback provided by the module leaders is the most helpful and assists with gaining a full understanding of the topic.

Apply now for LLM International Business Law, deadline 7 Jan 2022.