Leeds Law School

Leeds Law School student wins prestigious Neuberger Prize

Debbie Speight, second-year Law LLB student at Leeds Beckett University, has been announced as a winner of The Neuberger Prize, an annual award from Lincoln’s Inn for outstanding UK undergraduate students who are about to start their final year of a qualifying law degree.

Lincoln’s Inn on a sunny day, with a black car parked outside.

The Neuberger Prize is awarded to students who are of proven excellence. As a recipient of the Prize, mature student Debbie will now attend a summer school at the Inn, be matched with a mentor for the third year of her degree and be provided with the opportunity to complete a mini-pupillage. Debbie will also receive a cash prize of £250 and free admission to membership of the Inn.

Since its introduction in 2015, there have been 32 winners of The Neuberger Prize. From these, 13 have received Lincoln’s Inn BPTC scholarships to help them fund their Bar Professional Training Course.

Debbie also received the Leeds Law School Prize for the Best Overall Performance for Year 1 for her academic achievement last year. Aspiring barrister Debbie said of her prize:

“I was flattered when one of my lecturers approached me to enter for the Prize, but certainly didn’t expect to win. I fulfilled all the criteria and was encouraged to go for it, so I worked on the application form, CV and personal statement, all while trying to revise for my exams and attend my lectures and seminars.

“I was honoured to represent Leeds Law School and I’m so proud to be named a winner, especially given they had more applicants than ever before and competition was so high. It’s a privilege to get this additional support and guidance from Lincoln’s Inn to help me achieve my dream of becoming a barrister."

"I’m looking forward to attending summer school in July and the fact I get the mini-pupillage and experience with a barrister mentor will be so useful in shaping my career goals. Just to be affiliated with this prize and to tap into the vast knowledge and tradition of the Inn is really exciting.”

Safina Zarif, Senior Lecturer at Leeds Law School and one of the team that nominated Debbie for the award, said:

“Debbie is one of our highest achieving students. Not only does she consistently achieve outstanding results at university, she also works part-time at the local authority while raising two children. She amazes us, and we are proud and delighted that she is now winner of The Neuberger Prize and can take advantage of the future career-changing opportunities it brings.”

David Norris, Couse Director LLB (Hons) at Leeds Law School, adds:

“I am thrilled at Debbie’s success in achieving this prestigious award. Debbie is an excellent student who shows great commitment to her studies and to wider university activities. I am sure she will make the most of the opportunities that this award will offer.”

Huge congratulations to Debbie, from everyone at Leeds Beckett University.

Leeds Law School

Our Law School sits in the heart of the great city of Leeds, one of the UK's largest legal hubs. It is perfectly placed to ensure all our undergraduate and postgraduate students are able to mine the wealth of practical experience and employment opportunities available on our doorstep.