School of Health

Supporting Wellbeing at HMP Leeds

In line with Leeds Beckett’s goal to ensure we use our knowledge and resources to make a positive and decisive difference to people, communities and organisations, eight final year BSc Sports and Exercise Therapy students have broken new ground by supporting  Prison Officers Wellbeing day in HMP Leeds with their sports therapy skills.
Published on 09 Jan 2020
5 Sports and exercise students at HMP Leeds
At the end of 2019, they provided over thirty staff with sports massage and advice on sports injury. Recipients of their services were extremely positive about the treatments and professionalism the students displayed with Luke Morris, Physical Education Instructor in the Prison’s Gym commenting “They were all really positive and a pleasure to have here”.

Kate Jackson, one of the students who took part, reflected on the experience:

The Armley Prison placement was a fantastic experience from start to finish. I was surprised at the atmosphere, I expected to feel more fearful and intense when really it was quite relaxed and all the staff were friendly. 

We received a tour from the Prison Officers which showed us around the different areas of the prison, including the cells, wings and yards. I was impressed by the extent of facilities available to the prisoners, including a good quality gym.

During soft tissue treatment I was able to talk to the different staff within the facility and find out more about their job role and experiences working in a prison. As well as learning about day to day prison life, I also experienced new treatment techniques and learnt about assessing new injuries and refreshed my soft tissue techniques under the supervision of Phil, our placement supervisor.  

We received a lot of good feedback from the staff who visited the clinic and I was also able to take away knowledge of employment opportunities and graduate schemes that I wasn’t aware of until the visit. The placement also fell on the prison’s ‘Wellbeing Day’ which took place in the sports hall. I got involved with the different activities and was able to interact with the different stalls that were set up. 

I can’t thank Phil enough for the support we received during treatment of the staff and the the staff involved who were so friendly, answered any questions we had and made sure we felt safe throughout the day.

I thoroughly enjoyed this placement and can’t recommend it enough to any other students who may have this chance in the future!