My childhood obsession with science led me to this course

Student spotlight | Jennifer Blenkarn, BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences

Jennifer Blenkarn

I have completed my final year of studying BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science with Medical Biochemistry at Leeds Beckett University. I am very passionate about the application of emerging science and technology, and its relationship with healthcare. I am currently looking to pursue a career where I can apply my interests and skills learnt throughout my degree to build a career as a professional biomedical scientist.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Biomedical Sciences?

Ever since I was little, I was (and still am) obsessed and intrigued by science. I frequently created my own little science experiments and projects, which sometimes got me in trouble when I started to make ‘potions’ with all my mum’s expensive make-up and bath products! Growing up visiting and experiencing hospitals made me think more about the complexity of the human body and how amazing all the staff were. I was inspired by the hard work of everyone in the hospital who worked together to understand everything that can go wrong in the human body to best help their patients. So, when the time came to go to university it was a no-brainer to go into the scientific industry, more specifically into the medical field.

Biomedical science allowed me to learn the complex scientific knowledge behind disease and illness, whilst also offering me the opportunity to help others and be a part of the medical world. After months of research, I found Leeds Beckett offered me laboratory experience in purpose-built specialist biomedical facilities and great career prospects. Furthermore, student reviews showed Leeds Beckett offered an exceptional student experience (which I can vouch for!).

What made you choose Leeds Beckett University?

Coming from a small town in Shropshire, the idea of moving to a big city alone was daunting. However, upon visiting Leeds on university open days my mind was immediately put to rest as I felt safe and welcomed. Since then, Leeds is by far my favourite city, I enjoyed it so much I am looking for biomedical employment here as I don’t want to leave!

I chose to study at Leeds Beckett as it is a well-known university with awards in teaching excellence and various links with employers. Leeds Beckett University also offered guaranteed accommodation in halls of residence which is something not offered by other universities. Again, this helped to settle my nerves of moving to a new city alone as I knew I would be living with other students in the same boat. I researched the lecturers I found had most direct experience with various areas of the biomedical industry which was extremely valuable. 

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

My time at Leeds Beckett University shaped who I am today, by helping my confidence to grow and pushing me to become more independent. As a result of this, over the summer after my first year I was inspired at a Leeds Beckett job fair. This stall at the fair gave me the opportunity to live and work in America for three months and I had the time of my life! Without going to Beckett, I wouldn’t have had the confidence to go, so for that I am grateful. But overall, my favourite part of studying at Beckett were the lecturers. I was always so engaged during laboratory sessions and the staff were so friendly. I never felt under pressure as I knew that there was always a member of staff I could talk to and ask for help. I feel this is what makes Leeds Beckett stand out and creates such a fun, safe environment to study in.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

Advice I would give to a student thinking of studying biomedical science at Leeds Beckett, would be to stay organised and enjoy the ride. Make sure you manage your time well between studying and socialising (Leeds is by far the best student city so it can be easy to get caught up in it all). Most importantly, especially on this course, spend time reading around the subject by accessing online scientific journals, as I found this to drastically improve my work! Like I said, enjoy the ride because before you know it the three years are over and at the end you just wish you could start it all over again.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!