What is your nursing background?

I am an Adult nurse. I have a clinical background in oncology and worked in J80 (oncology/chemotherapy day unit) at St James Hospital. My PhD and research interests are on well-being, lifestyle changes and chronic conditions.

Nursing team

What made you choose nursing?

The rewarding and diverse career that the nursing profession offers, as a clinician, an educator, a researcher, a leader etc. was crucial to my decision to become a nurse.

How important is nursing?

Nurses have a broad and far-reaching role. At the epicentre of their role, nurses provide care while also playing an important role in educating patients and the public and providing support that leads to health promotion and the overall improvement of the health within the population.

How does it feel to teach the nurses of the future?

Students inspire me! Often brilliant new ideas are discussed within the sessions that lead to debates. Debating with students and other academics leads to new research related to nursing and new ideas and practices that will continue to evolve. I feel honoured in assisting shaping the future of nursing.

What does Leeds Beckett offer to those wanting to study nursing?

Student nurses at LBU have access to diverse placement opportunities, innovative teaching and learning practices, participation in simulated skills sessions, inclusiveness, integrity and teamwork.

Find out more about studying nursing at Leeds Beckett University.