Graduate reaches finals of the study UK Alumni Awards

A graduate from Leeds Beckett University has reached the finals of the Study UK Alumni Awards.

Dr Lok Bhattari - alumni of Leeds Beckett University

Dr Lok Bhattarai, who graduated in 2013 with a PhD in Health and Community Studies, is a finalist for the Business and Innovation award. It recognises alumni who are initiating and contributing to creative new ideas, solutions or business opportunities that have the potential for growth.

On getting through to the finals, Dr Bhattarai said: “I am very thrilled and immensely happy. I have taken it as a matter of great honour and testimony of how I am doing in my postgraduate career.

“Having been selected as a finalist for this award has further encouraged me to go the extra mile to make a positive impact in global human society as well as in my niche of expertise.

“British education has enormously enhanced my potentials and ability to be a thinker, influencer, leader and an innovator to the highest level.

“The main credit of my success as an influencer in ‘Business and Innovation’ undoubtedly goes to my University, as well as to the UK higher education system as a whole. I would also like to acknowledge the support I received from my faculty, especially from my professors who supervised my doctoral project.”

Since graduating, Dr Bhattarai has influenced the national public policy landscape in Nepal substantially. Last year, he was invited by the Nepal government as an expert to work with senior political and administrative leaders for planning and designing the country’s industrial development plan on entrepreneurship, innovation, productivity and international trade.

Dr Bhattarai has published a number of op-ed articles on national issues in Nepal about economic development, social justice, entrepreneurship and higher education.

The Study UK Alumni Awards are operated by or on behalf of the British Council to recognise and honour the outstanding achievements made by alumni who have studied at, or for a qualification awarded by, a listed or registered UK Higher Education Institution.

28 global finalists for 2023 have been selected and the winners will be announced in September. All winners and finalists are UK university alumni with outstanding success stories, representing 29 UK universities and 22 countries.