Graduating from Leeds Beckett University in 2016, Samantha said, “My favourite memory from university has to be the day I handed in my dissertation and the celebration with everyone else on the course afterwards.”

Samantha was inspired to pursue a career in HR after shadowing a HR advisor during her second year at university. Starting out at as a HR administrator, Samantha has had two promotions over a two-year period, and now works as a HR Coordinator. Samantha said “I absolutely love my current role, it’s extremely varied. I can be doing HR admin one day, recruitment the next, sickness absence, offering advice to employees...the list goes on.”

Commenting on how her studies has helped forge her career, Samantha said, “Studying History at Leeds Beckett was a great stepping stone that gave me the opportunity to learn invaluable skills that I have now transferred into the workplace. The opportunities to analyse historical data and draw my own opinions based on conflicting sources, and the skills I learnt whilst working on group projects are just some of the transferable skills I’ve taken from my history course.”

“When I was at university, I used to worry so much about finding a job after I’d graduated. My advice to current students would be try not to worry, it's okay if you are in your final year and everyone seems to have been offered a job before you. Utilise the careers service and don't give up.”