As soon as I visited Leeds Beckett university, I knew this was where I wanted to be

Alumni spotlight | Matilda Lawrence, BA (Hons) Criminology with Psychology

A female student in graduation cap and gown standing in front of a crowd of graduation guests.

Matilda Lawrence is a class of 2021 Leeds Beckett University graduate. Below, she discusses her course experience. 

Course: BA (Hons) Criminology with Psychology  

What have you been up to since you finished your course? 

I’m a resident advocacy worker for a charity. I work with victims of human trafficking and modern-day slavery, and part of my role is helping to rehabilitate them into society. I also support people with their asylum and court cases. 

How did your course help you progress in your career? 

The study of criminology and psychology linked in perfectly with my area of interest. I did a lot of research around modern slavery within my course, and it’s really helped with what I’m now doing. The teachers were great as well.  

Why did you choose to study your course specifically at LBU? 

I met the course leader on an open day, and he was so friendly. As soon as I arrived, I knew this is where I wanted to be. 

What was your favourite part of studying here? 

Meeting my friends. I’ve got friends for life! We had a group chat before our course started and that’s how I met my closest friend. We’ve been inseparable ever since; I’ve lived with her now for five years.  

What was your most joyful moment of being an LBU student? 

Passing my dissertation. I did my dissertation on sex crimes and the link of sexual violence with pornography. I got a first, so I was very proud of myself. The person who helped me with my research was amazing. 

What advice would you give to someone thinking of studying your course? 

Do it. Just do it. It’s so great. All the lecturers are so helpful and it’s a fab course.  

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!