My Transformational Experience Studying History at Beckett

Alumni Spotlight - Katie Ferrari

Image of broadcasting place

Katie, graduated with a 2:1 in History in 2019, read her story of where her career has taken her so far and what impact her degree had on it.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what you've been doing since you graduated?

I’m an Assistant Producer currently working in television in Sports! When I was in halfway through my second year at Leeds Beckett I started doing work experience on the Breakfast Show at Heart Radio Yorkshire (I think now they only do drive-time radio!) This led me to getting running opportunities in television by the summer. In third year, I was slowly getting freelance running work in TV alongside studying, which meant by the time I graduated I had enough experience to keep getting more runner work! Since then I became a researcher, and now I’m an Assistant Producer. I started working in Entertainment TV until I was a researcher, and then moved into Sports broadcasting.

What have been the highlights of your career so far?

The contracts in television aren’t super long so you get to meet so many interesting people all the time!

Tell us about your job, what does this entail and did studying at Leeds Beckett help you get there?

At the moment, I am part of a team that helps make half-time content! My job requires me to set up shoots, contacting talent and contributors, interviewing people (off camera!) and sitting in on edits to help create a finished project. Studying History at Beckett was the best thing ever. Firstly, you get taught how to think! Everyone is so supportive, and all the lecturers are so generous with their time. This has helped me with my career because you are constantly having to think of new ‘stories’ to tell. With the skills I learnt on my course, I am able to analyse, think outside of the box, research and support my proposals. This course gave me confidence in my knowledge and abilities.

How has your experience studying at Leeds Beckett influenced you and your career?

There are so many opportunities in Leeds! Especially with TV growing in this region. Also, Manchester has lots of opportunities as well and isn’t far. What is great about Leeds is you have the opportunities without as much competition compared to London. I stayed for almost a year after I graduated, working on loads of cool things including a BBC documentary, Emmerdale, and a pilot for a gameshow (which never took off but was still so much fun!).

What attracted you to study your course at Leeds Beckett University?

I have always found History so interesting because you are able to learn about why the world is where it is today! The course at Beckett covers so many fascinating topics, which really help shape your knowledge. I learnt about so many new things and cool facts! All the lecturers are so interesting and fun - I would never want to miss out on what we were going to learn!

What did you enjoy about your course and what advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

Definitely study History at Beckett! It’s honestly the best decision I’ve made. The city is so much fun, everyone is so nice, you make so many amazing friends and there are so many opportunities!

What's next for you?

I have no idea! I have just had my work visa application accepted to work in Canada but I have no leads at all on the job front but I’m sort of thinking just to go and see what happens!!