My unconventional journey into higher education

Student Spotlight - Joanne Le Grove

White woman with short blonde hair, nose piercing and brown glasses smiling at the camera wearing a pink shirt

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Leeds Beckett, and your chosen subject area?

I am a very mature, neurodivergent student. I use my writing to help me deal with things. I love music, theatre, photography and performing at spoken word events. I have one kitty and am LGBTQ. I write poetry predominantly. It took me a while to find a course that offered what I wanted to do and was pretty against doing a degree at my age. The process of applying was unusual as it happened without me really knowing it, it was that easy. I chatted to Leeds Beckett on Facebook messenger and my initial application was done. I had to come for an interview with the tutor and then got accepted.

What made you choose Leeds Beckett? 

I have lived in and around Leeds since I was 13 and currently live in East Leeds. Leeds Beckett offered what I was hoping to find and in an environment which offers such great support for older students and those with additional needs.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

So far, I love the fact that all of my tutors are published authors in their chosen fields of writing. Who better to educate me than people living the life I aspire to?

Is there a piece of work or project you have worked on that you are particularly proud of, and why?

I currently have a poem which started as one thing, was dissected by my tutor, rewritten and now rewritten again. I love how this piece has evolved from what I thought was a sweet little poem to one that packs quite a punch now.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying your course? 

If you enjoy creating images with words, to learn how things grow including yourself, give this course your serious thought. The variety of topics covered, the styles of texts, most of which would never have entered my field of vision, is just outstanding. The staff are amazing and so knowledgeable that you get a plethora of knowledge.