Choosing a University can seem like a daunting task, with hundreds of universities promoting their courses - so I wanted to tell you the reasons why I decided to study here at Leeds Beckett University.

Firstly, Leeds has a great city centre, and it is only a short walk from campus. It has an excellent night life; full of pubs, bars and nightclubs which are all student orientated – there’s something going on every day of the week. The shopping in Leeds is also brilliant; the high streets and shopping malls offer a wide range of retailers and restaurant chains, as well as quirky boutiques and smaller places to eat - you’re certainly never short of options! The train and coach station are also really close-by, making it easy to get back home or to travel to nearby places of interest.

Ellen Lucas Corn Exchange vintage fair image

Leeds is also a great place for music lovers – hosting a range of festivals such as Live at Leeds, Slam Dunk Festival and Leeds Festival. There are also plenty of excellent gig venues, such as The Key Club, Brudenell Social Club and the First Direct Arena to name just a few.

Ellen Lucas Blink 182 gig image

The City Campus is great with its modern buildings, on-site accommodation, cafés, 24/7 library and the brilliant Student Union. The Student Union is a great place to hang out after lectures, grab a bite to eat, or to go for a night out. It organises exciting events, such as Fresher’s Fairs, and is a great gig venue - it even becomes a stage at the Slam Dunk Festival! The Union also offers a huge range of societies to get involved in, and volunteering opportunities in Leeds, nationally and even internationally.

Ellen Lucas stage at Slam Dunk Festival

When it came to choosing my course, I knew I wanted to study film as it was my favourite subject at A-Level. However, I preferred the practical side to film and the Filmmaking BA at Leeds Beckett offered exactly what I was looking for. The heavily practical course is very industry focused. This was important to me when choosing a university, as I want to feel ready to work in the film industry after graduating.

Ellen Lucas shooting film at Prime Studios 2

The course is taught mainly in the Electric Press building, which is equipped with editing suites that have the latest software and technology. We also have access to studios, lighting, sound and camera equipment to be used in practical seminars and during film productions. There is also the opportunity to work in Prime Studios – a fantastic media production facility where drama series, including BBC’s ‘The Syndicate’ and ‘Death Comes to Pemberley’, have been shot.

Ellen Lucas shooting film at Prime Studios

Coming to Leeds Beckett has genuinely been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. This is not only from the point of view of the course I chose, which has taught me so much about the film industry and has really developed my skills as a filmmaker, but I have made friends for life while enjoying the student lifestyle in Leeds.