Student Blog Squad

My Top Tips for starting your Postgrad Course

Hi, I’m Emily and in this blog, I’m going to share some short pieces of advice to prepare you for your postgraduate course so that you can get off to the best start possible.

Image of smiling female student on laptop in the library

Prepare yourself for hard work

There is no denying that a postgraduate course is harder than an undergraduate course. You will have to put in a lot more work than what you have previously. If you expect and prepare to put in a lot of work, you will find it easier when it comes to doing it, which will then be reflected in your results!

Get a head start on readings and any other prep

Make sure you check for any readings that you have been asked to complete by your tutors. They have set them for a reason after all and they’re there to help you get off to the best start. If you don’t complete these, you may just miss out on some fundamental knowledge. Summer is the best time to get ahead.

Plan ahead to manage your time

Like stated previously, you will have a lot more work than before. If you plan ahead and focus on managing your time, you will find the work/social life balance a lot more manageable. If you get used to a routine where you’re putting in enough hours each week, it will be a lot easier when you get closer to your deadlines.

Attend everything in the welcome week

The welcome/induction week literally does what it says! It introduces you to all parts of the course which you will need to know. This includes modules, the university itself, the staff and of course your course mates. This is a perfect time to mix with everyone as everyone is in the same boat! The induction week also eases you back into university life and I would definitely say not to miss any part of it.

Make the most of the opportunities in the first semester

In the first semester, there is often a lot going on. Speaking from my experience there were lots of opportunities for career development as well as social opportunities. Most postgraduate courses are one or two years long which isn’t a long time! Make the most of all of your opportunities, especially at the start of the semester as you never know what other doors this will open for you.

Get to know your academic advisor

Your academic advisor is there to help you. If you have any issues whether it’s academic or personal your academic advisor can be your first point of contact. Transitioning from an undergraduate course to a postgraduate course is difficult so make the most of all the help you can get. This person is often the one who writes your job references for you too so it’s important to get off to a good start with them!

Maintain a social life

Finally, a key bit of advice is to maintain a social life. Yes, you are going to have to make sacrifices if you are used to socialising regularly but don’t drop it completely. Having a social life is healthy and it can really help you get through the tougher times at university.

Emily

Hi, I’m Emily. I’m currently studying my masters in Psychology of Sport and Exercise. When I’m not studying, you’ll find me training with the Leeds Beckett cheerleading team. My other hobbies include watching sport and travelling to new places.