Setting priorities

At school/college I didn’t really have a study routine as such; I didn’t plan when I was going to study or complete my homework. I just sort of fitted it in whenever. At uni, I soon learnt that I needed to implement some sort of routine into my learning.

At the start of each week I plan out how I am going to fit in my independent studying around other commitments I may have, such as volunteering and working, and figure out what is the most important thing I need to be completing that week, whether it be to finish an assignment or start a group presentation. 

This helps me to not fall into the hole of forgetting about other assignments or pieces of work I may have, as I can see it all written down on a list. Completing my MIS this year, I have also found that setting yourself mini deadlines can be very helpful and allows you to stay on top of your work.

Setting yourself mini deadlines can be very helpful and allows you to stay on top of your work.

Relationships with tutors and mentoring

Developing a relationship with your tutors is probably one of the most important things when coming to university. Within your course you will probably find that you tend to have the same tutors year on year, depending on what modules you take. I created a good bond with a few of my tutors at undergraduate level, who I now work with on my postgrad course too. It is so much easier to communicate and be yourself around tutors you create a good relationship with as you don’t feel like your pestering them when you’re like me and have at least one question to ask per week!

It is also great to have someone there supporting you through your university journey that you can go to about some more personal issues to. My dissertation tutor last year was honestly one of the best and I couldn’t have done it without them.

Learning outside the classroom

At university there are many activities for you to get involved with, whether that be societies and sports clubs or job opportunities that come forward on your course. University is the time for you to decide how you want to progress in your career and what routes you want to take, so any opportunities that you can get involved with to enhance your CV are great. I personally have realised just how many jobs require having experience, so my top tip would be to try and get involved with as many as you can.

I have found that the library is a place I can go to, to stay focused and get a good amount of work done with no distractions. 

Libraries

We are lucky at Leeds Beckett to have two amazing libraries, which can be used for most of the time. Especially during these times of online learning, I have found that the library is a place I can go to, to stay focused and get a good amount of work done with no distractions. 

If you are someone like me, who is stuck in a uni flat or house with limited working space, I definitely recommend getting some slots booked on campus to really make the most of your university experience, especially whilst most learning is still online.

Two people standing in front of a computer stand

Social events

Coming to university you’ll find hundreds of societies and social events participate in, from sports teams to societies about food or politics. Before I came to uni, I had a real passion for dance and didn’t want to lose my love for it. Luckily, Leeds Beckett have a brilliant dance society which I joined and became a huge part of. In just my second year of uni I was appointed Club Captain for the team and then went on the following year to be a choreography captain for the ballet and jazz teams. Being a part of a society developed not only my confidence and me as a person but other skills which I can now take onto any future careers I apply for. 

As a take home note, I think it’s important to say that coming to university, you take home what you put into it! So, put yourself out there, make new friends, join societies you may never have thought you would’ve and, trust me, you will have the best uni experience ever!

Group of female dancers on a stage