Student Blog Squad

Why Leeds Beckett was in my top 5 UCAS choices

Hi there, I’m Aklima and I am currently studying Primary Education at Leeds Beckett with the aim to be a class teacher when I graduate. In this blog you’ll get to know why I chose Leeds Beckett and a little bit about what I love about the university itself.

Ipad and coffee

Great city

First of all I chose Leeds Beckett because it has two campuses. Depending on your course, you will be based at either City or Headingley campus. I am at Headingley Campus which is situated in a leafy suburb just outside of the centre. Leeds is a great city to live in as it has links to so many different places and a variety of activities to go to. Headingley is also a very student populated area so for me this was great as it meant everyone was in the same boat and talking to anyone would be easy as pie. During wintertime particularly, Leeds is amazing, it’s filled with lights and most importantly the BEST food places (I’m a foodie). A few of my fave food places are Franksters and Hooyah burgers in the city centre. Honestly they are gems!

Amazing transport links

Another reason why Leeds Beckett was in my top five choices is because of the amazing links Leeds has to so many places in the UK, as well as around the city itself. Headingley has its own train station which is only a speedy 20 mins away too. The walk to the station from the uni is great, it’s a scenic one through Beckett park which is just right outside the Headingley campus. Just one train ride for seven minutes and you’re into the city centre where there's even more good stuff such as food, shopping and other amazing attractions like the city museum and art gallery. I didn’t think I’d enjoy going to the art gallery but once you’re with friends, even a museum is great!

Supportive staff

The staff were another big thing that I looked for when searching for a university and Leeds Beckett seemed to have the nicest and most supportive staff around. When I first came to look around the uni at an Open Day the advice and information I received from staff and students was just brilliant, it made me feel like I was part of a family already. Being here for almost five months now, that thought hasn’t changed a single bit, I still think the staff are so supportive and helpful. Once I got into my course and got to know my lecturers and seminar leaders better, I was able to talk to them if they were a friend. So, for this reason choosing Leeds Beckett really was the best choice I made.

Placements on my course

Another massive reason I chose Leeds Beckett was due to the opportunities that were available on my course. Can you believe I get to go on placements at least four times every academic year!? This is all organised by the university, where they give you the closest school to you, so no need to panic about organising it yourself. This gives me hands on experience at a school, so I’m properly prepared to take on the role of a teacher after university. I’m currently on placement at the moment and I am absolutely loving it. One of the things I’m enjoying the most is the fact that this experience is showing me I’ve chosen the right course. I think the links the university have to all the different schools, in all the different areas really give you a foundation to how good the uni is for the course.

Food on campus

If you can’t tell already, I LOVE food and am most definitely a foodie, so of course the food was a big thing I had to take into account when picking a university. Honestly, speaking from my heart, I can tell you the food at Leeds Beckett is absolutely delicious. They suit every dietary need and even have a campus shop if you don’t want a hot meal. The food in Leeds itself is also amazing, with my favourite places mentioned earlier in the blog, so definitely check those out!

Overall, I really recommend giving Leeds Beckett a chance in your life, because to be truthful I don’t think you’d regret your decision at all.