A lot of students come to UK for their studies and international exposure. In this process, it’s very normal to struggle and maintain a study and work life balance. And let’s be real, job hunting and assignments both can be very stressful time to time. One thing you should always remember, this student life is a blessing and it’s not going to come back, so let’s make the most out of it.

Work study balance

The real taste of adulthood hits within 3 months of university life. Freshers’ week is over, assignment deadlines are coming up, some of us secured a part time job, some of us are still on job hunting. Maintaining classes with this schedule is hectic and on top of that aligning social life, personal development, family, home chores, trust me, I know how it can feel. There was a time when I was in the same situation and at that time, I got a word of advice from my senior, “learn to use time, not misuse it.”

I would suggest to try and attend all your classes and make your schedule around your academic priority, this will help you to do good in Uni life and also give you a sense of satisfaction, joy and belonging.

Useful resources

There are a lot of resources and opportunities you can try your hands at in our university. Leeds Beckett University offers career services where you can enhance your skills through job fairs, workshops, boot-camps, new classes and seminars. You can book an appointment with careers team and they will talk to you about your career goals and how to achieve it. Our 24/7 library is a great source of knowledge, online and offline. If you don’t know where to go or whom to talk to, student services will try help you too.

Outside our university, you can go to Leeds city council, they help students with their job hunt too.

OPPORTUNITIES IN GLOBAL VILLAGE

Global village is one of my favourite parts of being a Leeds Beckett student. Global village gave me great opportunities, friends, memories and much more to come.
I applied to be a global ambassador through the global village website, after three rounds of interview, I got the job which I was looking forward to when I was in India. I am part of the student blog squad where my love for writing gets a chance to flourish. The flexibility of these two roles helps me maintain a balance between my classes, university activities and job. I even got the opportunity to showcase my passion for dance at the global showcase.

Global village is truly working for and with students to better our lives.

INVOLVEMENT WITH UNIVERSITY

I know when it's cold, rainy, windy or snowy, you don’t want to leave you warm bed but take my word for it, be as much involved as you can be with the university. You’ll find, there’s something always happening on campus. Job fairs, apprenticeship fair, internship opportunities, free giveaway and so much more. The Students' Union and their officers are always there to listen to you and help you. The student union also comes up with different opportunities for students to be a part of the union and help the students.

I am a course representative and from my experience I can say that I have been invited to meetings and conferences as a student assistant to voice out the problems students face in their academic life and career support.

NETWORKING

Meet and talk to new people, both the global village and students' union arrange parties, chit chats, city walks and meet ups time to time which are absolutely free. Networking is an essential part of life and as a business student I can say being approachable and being somewhere at the right time can change the trajectory of your life.

So, go out there, enjoy your academic life, university life and try to balance your life the best you can and remember every aspect interlinks with each other. All the best.

Piyasha

Heya! I am Piyasha from city of joy Kolkata, India. My love for English Literature and ambition to be an international student led me to Leeds. I like to call myself “Jack of all trades” as I love to explore new opportunities that comes my way. I hope you will enjoy my blogs with a cup of coffee in a café or your home.