Dr Helen Fawkner
About Dr Helen Fawkner
Helen received her MSc and PhD from the University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Prior to this she completed a BSc (Hons) at Monash University, Australia. Helen is currently the Course Leader for the BSc (Hons) Psychology degree.
Helen's research interests are in the areas of health, applied social, and sport/ exercise psychology. Her own research has a particular emphasis on men's health and body image attitudes. Specifically, Helen is interested in the antecedents to body image attitudes in men (e.g., the role of physical factors, personality attributes and cultural and interpersonal factors), and how these are related to potential adjustive strategies and behaviours (e.g., body adornment, grooming behaviours, cosmetic surgery, steroid, recreational drug, smoking, and alcohol use, eating disturbance, and sexual risk taking).
Helen is currently a member of the Editorial Board for Body Image: An International Journal of Research. Further, she regularly reviews research for Sex Roles, International Journal of Mens Health, Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, Men and Masculinities, Psychology and Sexuality, and Journal of Applied Sport Psychology.
Helen currently teaches on the following modules:
- Psychology of Appearance (Year 2 Elective)
- Psychology of Women (Year 2 Elective)
- Final Year Research Project
Helen is currently examining factors that might influence body image attitudes in women, and their response to the presentation of idealized images (e.g., religiosity, dress preference).
Journal articles (11)
- Jankowski GS; Fawkner H; Slater A; Tiggemann M (2014) "Appearance potent"? A content analysis of UK gay and straight men's magazines
View Repository Record
- MULVEY MR; FAWKNER HJ; RADFORD HE; JOHNSON MI (2012) Perceptual embodiment of prosthetic limbs by Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Mulvey MR; Radford HE; Fawkner HJ; Hirst L; Neumann V; Johnson MI (2012) Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation for Phantom Pain and Stump Pain in Adult Amputees
- SINGLETON P; FAWKNER HJ; WHITE A; FOSTER S (2009) Men's experience of cosmetic surgery: A phenomenological approach to discussion board datahttp://www.bpsshop.org.uk/Qualitative-Methods-in-Psychology-Newsletter-Issue-8-October-2009-P880.aspx
- MULVEY MR; FAWKNER HJ; RADFORD HE; JOHNSON MI (2009) The use of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) to aid perpetual embodiment of prosthetic limbs
- White A; Fawkner HJ; Holmes M (2006) Is there a case for differential treatment of young men and women?
- White AK; Fawkner H; Holmes M (2006) The Health of Men and Women - A Case for Differential Treatment?
- Fawkner HJ; McMurray NE (2004) Antecedents and consequences of body-image attitudes in men
- Fawkner HJ; McMurray NE (2002) Body image in men: Self-reported thoughts, feelings, and behaviors in response to media imageshttp://mensstudies.metapress.com/content/a83326mv78368u82/
- Fawkner HJ; McMurray NE (2002) Body image, eating attitudes and behaviours in men: The role of sexual orientation
- Fawkner HJ; McMurrary NE; Summers JJ (1999) Athletic injury and minor life events: A prospective study
- Fawkner HJ (2012) Body image attitudes and gender. In: Rumsey N; Harcourt D Oxford Handbook of the Psychology of Appearance. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. .http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199580521.do#.Ujm4SMash8E
- Fawkner HJ (2012) Pregnancy and eating disorders. In: Martin CR Perinatal Mental Health: A clinical guide. Keswick: M&K Update Ltd, pp. .
- Fawkner HJ (2012) Pregnancy and body image attitudes. In: Martin CR Perinatal Mental Health: A Clinical Guide. Keswick: M&K Update Ltd, pp. .
- Fawkner HJ (2012) Body image development- adult men. In: Cash TF Encyclopedia of Body Image and Human Appearance. Oxford: Academic Press, pp. .http://store.elsevier.com/product.js?pisbn=9780123849250
- FAWKNER H (2008) Eating disorders and substance use. In: Martin Identification and Treatment of Alcohol Dependency. London: M&K Publishing, pp. .
Conference contributions (5)
- Fawkner HJ; Fylan F (2011) Contact lenses in mind and in the mind Manchester, UK 29/05/2011. The British Contact Lens Association.http://www.bcla.org.uk/en/post-conference-section/index.cfm
- FAWKNER HJ (2011) La psicologia dell'aspetto fiscio; implicazioni per le scelte di correzione visva (The psychology of appearance: Implications for vision correction choices) . Rome:
- FAWKNER HJ; FYLAN F (2011) Contact lenses in mind and in the mind . Manchester:
- SINGLETON P; FAWKNER H; WHITE A; FOSTER S (2010) The road to surgery for gynecomastia: what can health professionals learn from men's experiences? Bristol University 22/06/2010.
- SINGLETON P; FAWKNER H; WHITE A; FOSTER S (2008) "Bruises heal but moobs last forever": men's experience of cosmetic surgery for gynecomastia University of Leeds, Leeds, UK 02/09/2008.
Conference proceedings (8)
- MULVEY MR; FAWKNER HJ; RADFORD HE; HIRST L; NEUMANN V; JOHNSON MI (2011) Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) for phantom pain and stump pain in adult amputees.. In: Joint Annual Scientific Conference of the British Pain Society and the Canadian Pain Society. . Edinburgh: , pp. .
- SINGLETON P; FAWKNER H; WHITE A; FOSTER S (2010) "I can't believe I'm talking about this with strangers on the net". Men talking online about breast surgery: A paper to be presented as part of symposium on "Men talking health: masculinities, discussions and fora for talking about health". In: Qualitative Methods in Psychology Conference . University of Nottingham: , pp. .
- SINGLETON P; FAWKNER H; WHITE AK; FOSTER S (2010) "I can't believe I'm talking about this with strangers on the net": men talk online about breast surgery. In: Qualitative Methods in Psychology Section (QMiP) Annual Conference . Nottingham: , pp. .
- ROMAINE J; JOHNSON SJ; FAWKNER H (2009) Support or sabotage? Adolescent girls talk around the influences of others on physical activity participation.. In: British Psychological Society: Psychology of Women Section Annual Conference . Windsor: , pp. .
- MULVEY M; FAWKNER H; RADFORD H; JOHNSON M (2009) A pilot study to investigate the effects of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) on the perceptual embodiment of a prosthetic limb. In: The European Federation of Chapters of the International Association for the Study of Pain . Lisbon, Portugal: , pp. .
- ROMAINE J; JOHNSON S; FAWKNER H (2008) Girls don't do sport. In: BPS Psychology of Women Section Annual Conference . Windsor: , pp. .
- MULVEY M; FAWKNER H; RADFORD H; JOHNSON M (2008) Whose hand is it anyway? Does TENS interfere with ownership of a prosthetic hand; an exploratory investigation?. In: Pallium Research Show Case . Leeds: , pp. .
- MULVEY M; FAWKNER H; RADFORD H; JOHNSON M (2008) Whose body is it anyway? The physiology of body ownership; a bottom-up or a top-down approach?. In: PsyPag Postgraduate Research Conference . Manchester: , pp. .