About Mick Marston
Mick graduated from Leeds Polytechnic with an honours degree in 1992 and immediately began working as a technician in the university printmaking department. Whilst studying part time for a Masters degree, he dipped his toe into the world of commercial illustration. Mick is now an award winning illustrator with a long client list of prestigious news organisations and brands.
In 2015 Mick joined dust in Sheffield where he is currently employed as an art director.
Mick teaches on the BA in Graphic Arts, specialising in printmaking and illustration but is happy to embrace the more unconventional practices sometimes encountered on the course. Mick has played a pivotal role in the development of the course curriculum – particularly in Level 4 and has been an established part of the teaching team in Level 6.
Mick continues to be a visiting lecturer at a variety of institutions across the UK – including Sheffield Hallam University, Northumbria University, De Montfort University and Leeds College of Art.
Mick is interested in the widening variety of possibilities and outcomes for his commercial illustrative practice. Current projects include a 72 metre long play wall in a London park and a 30 metre long art wall connecting biological and animal sciences with mathematics and physics at Sheffield University. Other projects include a creativity card set based on Brian Eno’s ‘Oblique Strategies’ aimed at engineering graduates at AMRC/Boeing, ongoing regular editorials with The Times Education Supplement and has recently seen his work animated for Huddersfield University.
Mick is also concerned with the role that good design plays in the education and wellbeing of children and has contributed to this sector with a book entitled ’50 Things To Do’ in collaboration with Julian Wood for Wybourn School and with an installation of prints at Sheffield Children’s Hospital for Artfelt.
His personal work has been exhibited in galleries and public spaces throughout the UK and the USA much of which is created from rejected commercial work.
- Marston M (2016) A Beginner's Guide To Coding. Bloomsbury Publishing.http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/a-beginners-guide-to-coding-9781472928641/
- Marston M (2916) The Beauties of The Common Toolhttp://www.iloveoffset.com/news/offset-sheffield/
- Marston M (2017) Huddersfield University Prospectus, Poster and Animation Campaignhttp://formfiftyfive.com/2016/06/peter-paul-huddersfield-university/
- Marston M (2016) Tailster Advertising Campaign illustrationshttps://www.tailster.com/
- Marston M (2016) Alicantehttp://du.st/articles/british-airways-alicante/
- Marston M (2016) Logo Design for International Labour Process Conferencehttp://www.ilpc.org.uk/
- Marston M (2016) Clapham Junction Station Advertising and Wayfinding Campaign for British Airwayshttp://mickmarston.du.st/articles/beach/
- Marston M (2016) 50 Things To Dohttp://du.st/articles/50-things-to-do/
- Marston M (2015) Info Graphics for The Malala Fundhttps://www.facebook.com/MalalaFund/photos/a.683448525002336.1073741826.541807025833154/1109724065708111/?type=3&theater
- Marston M. Animal Procession, 01/05/2015-(In press)http://www.tchc.org.uk/shop/#animal%20prints%20by%20dust
- Marston M. Reframing The Myth, 02/02/2016-26/02/2016http://www.graeae.org/news/reframing/
- Marston M. Soho not Soso, 01/12/2016-01/12/2016https://www.creativereview.co.uk/work/work-bbh-london-launches-soho-not-soso-campaign/
- Marston M. A View of Sheffield, 01/11/2016-01/11/2016http://aviewofsheffield.co.uk/
- Marston M. Catalyst Festival of Creativity, 01/07/2016-01/07/2016http://www4.shu.ac.uk/mediacentre/3d-printing-exhibition-explores-sheffields-creativity
- Marston M. Just Do Good Shit, 01/01/2015-01/01/2015http://theultralinx.com/2016/05/designers-posters-show-the-most-important-thing-that-theyve-learned/
- Marston M. Present!, 01/01/2015-01/01/2015http://www.weareallequals.co/
- Marston M. The Shit Show, 01/11/2015-01/11/2015https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuUwBvmdVPM