The definitive list of rooftop bars and beer gardens in Leeds
Leeds has a great variety of outdoor bars and pubs for those beautiful summer days and evenings. Here’s a handful of the very best.
1. Belgrave Music Hall & CanteenInside Belgrave is lovely, but nothing beats stepping out to their beautiful rooftop for a drink with your mates. If the temperature drops, they’re armed with space heaters and an outside bar, combined with some great tunes for a lovely chilled evening.
2. AngelicaAngelica, at the very top of Trinity Leeds, is a luxurious spot at any time of day, but to really get the most out of it we’d recommend visiting at night. Drinking cocktails on their terrace and watching the world go by is an absolute dream, as is their impressive food menu.
3. IsshoSwapping the top of Trinity for the top of the pristine Victoria Gate, we have Japanese rooftop restaurant Issho. The décor is simple but stylish, making for a beautiful spot to grab some sushi rolls or sip on an ice-cold Asahi. If you’re not a fan of beer, they also offer spirits, or a healthier alternative in green tea!
4. Water Lane BoathouseA stone’s throw away from Granary Wharf, Water Lane Boathouse overlooks Leeds canal and is a great place to visit on a sunny day. They have a spacious water-facing patio, as well as seating inside and upstairs, meaning you’ll never feel too crowded.
5. The Original OakWhether you find yourself in here for an Otley Run, or for a chilled bite to eat after lectures, you’ll be amazed by the huge beer garden on offer at The Original Oak. Their big screen means sports fans will never miss a beat, and the number of benches means you always stand a pretty good chance at getting a seat on a sunny day.
Top tip: Water lane Boathouse is a great place to go if you're vegan, with a great range of vegan pizzas as well as the B12 Vegan Burger!
6. A Nation of ShopkeepersThis city-centre pub is a great place for a craft beer or a cocktail and is conveniently positioned just a short walk from our city campus. A Nation of Shopkeepers have a lovely, casual area outside full of benches, which you can sometimes find decked out in fairy lights. The food’s great too – with plenty of vegan and vegetarian options on offer.
7. Roland'sThis is Leeds' best kept secret! Roland's on Call Lane actually has a rooftop terrace but whether or not you go and find it open is hit or miss. If you are lucky enough to go and find it open, you're in for a treat. Roland's do a brilliant selection of beers, wines and cocktails - so something for everybody!
8. The WoodsThis isn't a city-centre spot, but if you find yourself in Chapel Allerton (which we highly recommend you do venture up there) The Woods is a lovely sun trap and a chilled environment to have a drink or some food. While you're up there, you might as well check out The Mustard Pot and Seven Arts Bar too.
9. Headrow HouseOwned by the same people as Belgrave and Water lane Boathouse, you'll get a similar vibe in Headrow seen in these town favourites. With a beer hall and restaurant called Ox Club on the ground floor, a cocktail bar in the middle and a huge rooftop terrace, Headrow House fits all kinds of after-work drink scenarios.
10. Lamb & Flag
Lamb & Flag is just off Call Lane but a tad more tucked away than the other beer gardens and rooftop terraces in the city centre, so you'll find it a bit easier to get a table outside on a sunny day. More recently, they've installed a roof in case in classic Yorkshire fashion, the weather quickly changes!