Learning German gave me the confidence to run my business in Germany

John Pike studied a part-time German course, alongside his job as a Chartered Surveyor. John shares with us why he chose to learn a new language and what benefits this has had so far.

John Pike

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to the course?

As part of my job as a Chartered Surveyor, I set up a sustainable property conference aimed at Senior Executives in Real Estate. I originally ran the conference in London only, but I decided to expand the conference to Germany as well. This is when I decided I wanted to learn the German language to give me more confidence communicating with my German colleagues.

I was always keen to learn a new language, I had never done German at school, and chose German not only because of my business interests, but also because I enjoy hiking holidays in the country and surrounding German speaking countries such as Austria. Having more time during lockdown I decided to join the part time course at Leeds Beckett University.

How have you found the course and was it what you'd expected? 

I have found the German course at Leeds Beckett excellent. Attending it has really expanded my knowledge of the German language and made me much more confident. It has definitely been worthwhile. I have also enjoyed being part of a group and learning with other people, Microsoft Teams has worked very well during lockdown and I hope that in due course we will be able to get back into the classroom for at least a part of the course.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett University?

I have enjoyed the course book we are following; it has expanded my vocabulary and grammar knowledge substantially. We have a mix of following the course book and additional PowerPoint presentations which works well. I’ve had an excellent teacher for my course at Leeds Beckett.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

For me it covers all bases, whether I need the language skill for business or for holidays. The course is fast paced so you do need to do your homework! But there is a feeling of satisfaction at the end of the lesson that you have really learnt something and advanced your knowledge and skill in the language.