Why my time at uni has been rewarding

Alumni Spotlight | Jacob Cook

Jacob at graduation smiling in front of 2022 numbers

BA (Hons) Primary Education (5-11) with Recommendation of QTS graduate, Jacob Cook attended the Leeds Beckett 2022 Graduation Ceremony and shares with us his experience studying at Leeds Beckett and why he chose to study here.

Course: BA (Hons) Primary Education (5-11) with Recommendation of QTS

How was your Graduation Ceremony?

I really enjoyed it, it’s been lovely after three years of hard work to come back and celebrate with everyone else from the course.

What’s next for you now after Graduation?

I have secured a job at a school in Beeston, so I will be working in year 5, it’s a temporary role, but we’ll see what happens, hopefully I will be kept on after. It wasn’t one of my placement schools, but it’s in the same location. I saw the job online and went for the interview and I really like the feel of it, I am really happy I secured a job there.

What support have you received from Leeds Beckett University?

The support from our tutors has been really instrumental. Whenever we have questions or complaints, our tutors are always there to support us and answer everything. This wasn’t just face-to-face but throughout the full course, in lectures, studying from home during COVID-19 and on placements; they really make you feel part of the team and supported.

Why did you choose to study BA (Hons) Primary Education (5-11) with Recommendation of QTS course at Leeds Beckett?

When I came to the open days, it felt very welcoming, all the staff were very positive and energetic, the campus was very inviting and had a community feel about it. I really enjoyed the day and it 100% made my decision! I am a student representative and now get involved in the open days, freshers fairs and taster days, speaking to prospective students and I love that I can be part of that process that had such a big impact on me when I was making my decision. I hope that I have influenced many people to come to Leeds Beckett because it’s a great place!

What was your favourite part of your course and why?

The placements were my favourite part for sure! I have worked in seven schools now around Leeds, and Beeston where my new job is. It’s been really nice working in these low-economic areas to see how we can support the students and what impact school and teachers have on them. It’s been very rewarding and I'm grateful for the opportunity. 

What advice would you give to someone thinking of studying your course?

Just give it your all, attend an open day and speak to the lecturers and current students. You will definitely get a feel for it if it's something for you or not!

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself!